starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will doing Incline Bench increase my Flat Bench?

Default Will doing Incline Bench increase my Flat Bench?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is probably a dumb question but will training the Incline Bench in a progressive manner increase my Flat Bench without actually doing any Flat Bench?

maybe but why not just do flat? Is it your ego? Because all things relative if you have a weak* incline bench people are going to think you a weak flat bench too

*edit
    Last edited by MattJ.D.; 07-20-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Jsutt Guest

Another dumb question - why not do both?

This is part of an issue that powerlifting has had to deal with for a while, lifters that want to increase their main competition lifts by not doing them. if you haven't had the chance to read the article on Norbert Schemansky by Coach Gallagher, check it out on the startingstrength front page.

A direct answer: Maybe. You'd be better served practicing the bench press if you want a stronger bench press. It's that simple.

Hey guys, thanks for your responses.

The reason I'm asking is because I've been swept up in this idea that Incline Bench is more applicable to functional pushing strength. Guys like Ferruggia, Pavel, Starr... they all believe that Incline transfers better to real life.

However Rippetoe says in Starting Strength that there is no reason to do Incline as long as you are training the Bench AND the Press, which I am.

I guess I just wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing in terms of functional strength training.

Any thoughts?

If you want to increase your flat bench. Progressively load the flat bench and do the close and wide grip flat benches as accessory exercises. They will help more than the incline or decline bench.

I like incline a lot for my press and bench. I press and bench but find I need a lot of volume to increase my bench so incline after my mains helps keep me doing more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    if you need more volume to progress your bench, and the exercise variety will increase compliance, then using incline bench can be a way to do that. Optimally, you would simply use backoff sets of flat bench, but for some people that's boring. Personally, I don't mind doing the same exercises over and over, so I've been sticking with circuits of the same three exercises for a while now as my assistance each day, and it seems to be doing the job.
    Pretty much what I was trying to say, just was lazy with the smartphone keyboard.

Gotta hit dem "upper pecs"!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by idlehands View Post
    I like incline a lot for my press and bench. I press and bench but find I need a lot of volume to increase my bench so incline after my mains helps keep me doing more stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroman View Post
    Gotta hit dem "upper pecs"!
    Both of these are true for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast