starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check, please

Default Squat form check, please

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all,

Would you mind giving my squats a look? I posted in the technique forum a while ago and the feedback I got was:

1. Tighten up my core
    2. More horizontal back angle

I've tried to do these things. Not sure how successful I've been. Here's my final set from today at 180lb. I have the videos from the first two sets as well. I can post them on request, but I'm following the sticky for now.

http://youtu.be/OBZjxUVI050

http://youtu.be/OBZjxUVI050

You are overextending your spine. Stop trying to arch your back so much at the top. Stand normally and get tight and then don't move your back again while squatting. Other than that, those look pretty good, having only watched the first video. I recommend some lifting shoes, too.

Alright, thanks for taking a look. I've been told this before and I guess I'm having trouble fixing it. I'll try making no deliberate attempt to extend my back and see how that goes.

So I can spot this myself next time, what are you seeing in the video that tips you off about the back overextension?

Lifting shoes are on my list of stuff to buy. Just ordered a 3 inch belt for pulling, so they might have to wait a while. I'm currently using Chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by CannedBass View Post
    So I can spot this myself next time, what are you seeing in the video that tips you off about the back overextension?
    I see you overextend your back.

Kidding aside, you overarch your back before you begin your reps. Nothing fancier than that.