starting strength gym

Thread: Mastectomies

Default Mastectomies

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi, I am curious about whether any coaches inquire about whether a trainee has had a mastectomy. Is there a need to know and a correction in form to make?

It seems to me that answer would be no. Jonathon Sullivan's gym suggests that any trainee who can perform the range of motion required for a lift can load that lift.

If he (it happens) or she can't perform the range of motion then the person to see is a physical therapist. Have I got that right?

I asked one trainer at our Crossfit gym, where several of the women have had mastectomies, about the issue. She said that everyone just takes care to progress carefully on lifts and assistance exercises that would have engaged any muscle that has been removed.

So far, so good. Does anyone have something further to say from anatomy or experience?

Cheers -

I wish you the best. I cannot answer your questions but as you have discovered Dr. Sullivan can. I just wished to welcome you.

Thanks for the good wishes. This seems to be a dead end. At least it was an opportunity to summarize my thought. Best -

Send a private message to Sully. I know of a successful female lifter but it's her business not mine.