starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple Questions - ATG Squats + Seated Overhead

Default Couple Questions - ATG Squats + Seated Overhead

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Started doing 5x5 SS again a week ago. Decided to stick with it for a while.

Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 164 lbs

Squat: ATG 130 lb
    (I never did deep squats but 200 lbs was what I was squating, but deep squats are pretty dang tough)
    Deadlift: 200 lbs
    Barbell Row: 110 lb
    Bench: 140 lb
    OH Press: 90 lb (Pretty easy)

So... for the questions. Keep in mind I make sure my form is good for all these exercises. I make sure of that. I'm pretty strict on my forms.

After a few reps of the first set of squats the area around my calf starts to sting/hurt. Not sure why but it's very uncomfortable for the remaining sets. I can already tell that it will be a pain in the ass when I put on more weight.

Squat

Seems like when my feet are a LITTLE bit closer than shoulder width it helps a little but, but it still stings. A wider stance... makes it worse. Someone said I'm squating the weight on my toes but I don't think so. I'll check if thats the problem the next time i squat. I really doubt it because my legs are quite far in front of me as if i were to sit in a chair. Kinda...

Overhead Press

The only gym that's not expensive as hell is planet fitness and the smith machines that they have aren't tall enough. I tried doing standing overhead press but my elbows don't fully lock. They come close to locking but not really. Could I do seated overhead press instead? Or should i just work with what I have?

Buy the book and read it. Your questions will be answered.

Re: your last question, the solution is to not press in the Smith machine. If you're squatting with a free barbell, then why would you press in the Smith machine? You are squatting without a smith machine, yes? Looks like you're doing Stronglifts 5x5, might want to buy and read the book. It will teach you more than you thought you needed to know about the squat, and how to avoid almost any common form breakdown on the prescribed exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Chris View Post
    Re: your last question, the solution is to not press in the Smith machine. If you're squatting with a free barbell, then why would you press in the Smith machine? You are squatting without a smith machine, yes? Looks like you're doing Stronglifts 5x5, might want to buy and read the book. It will teach you more than you thought you needed to know about the squat, and how to avoid almost any common form breakdown on the prescribed exercises.
    My gym only has smith machines... no free bar....

Quote Originally Posted by grizzzzly View Post
    My gym only has smith machines... no free bar....
    Then you'll have to find another gym if you want to do the program. One can no more squat in a smith machine than he can in a pinball machine. So sayeth (approximately) the Rip. From whose nuts we swing. Glory be upon us. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Then you'll have to find another gym if you want to do the program. One can no more squat in a smith machine than he can in a pinball machine. So sayeth (approximately) the Rip. From whose nuts we swing. Glory be upon us. Amen.
    Squats are squats, deadlifts are deadlifts, and lifting is lifting. I'm not gonna pay more money just to make sure my own body balances out the weight. You can build muscle on smith machines as well, and I've seen many people do it and later on adjust to free weights so they don't tear a muscle or mess something up.

Lifting ain't rocket science. Just came here for two simple questions on whats wrong fsss. I'm seeing results from what I'm doing right now, just these atg squats are a pain in the ass. Maybe i am squating on my toes... but i doubt it. I'll check Monday.

The stinging part isn't when I'm pulling the weight up but it's when I'm reaching those few inches to the ground. When My butt almost touches my calf muscles.

You are of course free to do as you please, but you're not likely going to get your questions answered on this board, 'cause that ain't how we squat.

Good God

Squats are squats, deadlifts are deadlifts, and lifting is lifting. I'm not gonna pay more money just to make sure my own body balances out the weight. You can build muscle on smith machines as well, and I've seen many people do it and later on adjust to free weights so they don't tear a muscle or mess something up.
    Well then why don't you ask them how to do ATG squats in a Smith Machine? Because nobody on these boards coaches anyone to do that. There are approximately 75 pages of the book that shares its name with this website on the how's and why's of the squat model most of us follow.

Lifting ain't rocket science. Just came here for two simple questions on whats wrong fsss. I'm seeing results from what I'm doing right now, just these atg squats are a pain in the ass. Maybe i am squating on my toes... but i doubt it. I'll check Monday.
    No, lifting ain't rocket science, but it's not quite as simple as "just get under the bar, squat down, stand up," or you wouldn't be asking us to diagnose your vaguely described pain on the internet (which we can't do without a video and probably don't care to because of the fact that you're not doing the exercise we refer to as "the squat" around here)

The stinging part isn't when I'm pulling the weight up but it's when I'm reaching those few inches to the ground. When My butt almost touches my calf muscles.
    Why are you squatting so low? What makes you think this is better than squatting to the depth we advocate? Do you know what depth we advocate squatting to? Do you know what the hamstrings do in a squat? It's not rocket science, but it is higher-than-grade school mechanics.

Good luck with your program and your lift selection. I don't think we can help you here other than to once again suggest that you read the book.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stunts View Post
    Good God
    +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast