starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't break past plateau/Still have pathetic lifts

Default Can't break past plateau/Still have pathetic lifts

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have been training since April 19, 2014 and still am lifting pussy weights. I had my form checked on here and was told its decent. I am still squatting 200/pressing 105/ benching 185/dead lifting 280
    I have deloaded the press 3 times, squat 2 times, deads 2 times and bench 1 time. I increased my caloric intake by 500 cals as per one of the coaches on here. Still no progress. I have been stuck for 1.5 months. I am pushing myself as hard as I can. My legs start feeling like jelly and shake right before I fail my squat and the legs just give out on the way up.
    What the fuck am I doing wrong Mark? Seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Great article. I read it in the book as well.
    "You’ll start out stronger than the skinny guy, and strength gains have the potential to come easier for you if you eat correctly because your body hasn’t got the problems with growing that skinny guys do."
    I started off squatting 75lbs. I wouldn't exactly say thats stronger than the skinny guy.

Explain something to me. My maintenance calories (I'm assuming you know what that means) is 3000cals a day. Eating anymore than that would put me in a surplus which would mean gaining fat along with muscle. How is 3500 going to cause my body to recomp?
    I started doing the program at 2500 cals and bumped it up to 3000 as per one of the coaches stated to do on here and it has made no difference to the amount of weight I can put on the bar.
    You say to eat a low card diet if your a fat fuck (my words). Isn't carbs where you get your energy to train? I personally feel even weaker if I try to train with no carbs.
    Can you tell me what I should be doing at this point? De-load most of the weight? Start completely over? Keep lifting my plateaued weight and eat even more?
    Can you please respond with more than one line if you have time to? I am trying to get as much info as I can without constantly writing back and wasting your time.

Appreciate the help Mark.
    Last edited by GoodbyeFat; 08-12-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Added a question

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeFat View Post
    Eating anymore than that would put me in a surplus which would mean gaining fat along with muscle....

I started doing the program at 2500 cals and bumped it up to 3000...
    Bingo.

Great article. I read it in the book as well.
    "You’ll start out stronger than the skinny guy, and strength gains have the potential to come easier for you if you eat correctly because your body hasn’t got the problems with growing that skinny guys do."
    I started off squatting 75lbs. I wouldn't exactly say thats stronger than the skinny guy.

Explain something to me. My maintenance calories (I'm assuming you know what that means) is 3000cals a day. Eating anymore than that would put me in a surplus which would mean gaining fat along with muscle. How is 3500 going to cause my body to recomp?
    I started doing the program at 2500 cals and bumped it up to 3000 as per one of the coaches stated to do on here and it has made no difference to the amount of weight I can put on the bar.
    You say to eat a low card diet if your a fat fuck (my words). Isn't carbs where you get your energy to train? I personally feel even weaker if I try to train with no carbs.
    Can you tell me what I should be doing at this point? De-load most of the weight? Start completely over? Keep lifting my plateaued weight and eat even more?
    Can you please respond with more than one line if you have time to? I am trying to get as much info as I can without constantly writing back and wasting your time.

Appreciate the help Mark.
    What is your height, weight, and age? How much are you sleeping every night?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    What is your height, weight, and age? How much are you sleeping every night?
    6'2
    243lbs
    I get 7-9 hrs sleep a night. More on the weekends.

It's kind of scary how similar we are. I started around the same time as you, my lifts are about the same as yours now, I'm 6'2", and 26.
    Except I weigh 163lbs, up from 140.

I'm very inexperienced so I have no useful input, but I'm willing to wager that your problem is that you're not eating enough, considering my issue is that I've only been eating just over 3000cal/day and I'm not gaining weight.

6'2
    243lbs
    I get 7-9 hrs sleep a night. More on the weekends.
    Ok, good. You mentioned you were getting 3000 calories a day. What is the approximate macro breakdown? How many grams of fat, carbs, and protein a day are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
    It's kind of scary how similar we are. I started around the same time as you, my lifts are about the same as yours now, I'm 6'2", and 26.

I'm very inexperienced so I have no useful input, but I'm willing to wager that your problem is that you're not eating enough, considering my issue is that I've only been eating just over 3000cal/day and I'm not gaining weight.
    I've helped train a couple of guys who had a similar build. One of them started at 6'1", 120 pounds! Nothing you don't know, but you'll need to make a heroic effort to gain weight in order to see the results. I tried to remind my trainees that this will be a temporary thing and you don't need to eat 4,000-5,000 calories forever.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D View Post

Thanks for your input. I am hesitant to increase the calories even more. I know this is a strength program and and the whole idea is to gain strength but my primary objective is fat loss. I read people had great results doing both on this program but I refuse to get anymore fatter at the expense of strength at this point in time. I will continue it for a little longer and if it
    's not working for me, i'll have to find another program.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cifani View Post
    Ok, good. You mentioned you were getting 3000 calories a day. What is the approximate macro breakdown? How many grams of fat, carbs, and protein a day are you getting?
    p/c/f
    260/260/100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast