starting strength gym

Thread: confusion about getting stronger but not gaining mass

Default confusion about getting stronger but not gaining mass

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    In a few places on this site Rip has mentioned that at some point you have to get bigger to get stronger because eventually you all of the neuromuscular gains will have been made at some point. However, in PPST3 it gives the example of the ME/DE split for an athlete who is in a weight class in the intermediate section. So i guess my question is at what point does someone who does not wish to gain weight but still get stronger reach that point where he actually cannot get stronger due to a lack of gaining mass? confused

You can refine technique and improve motor unit recruitment without significant mass gain for a long fucking time. But you might go crazy first.

Just personal anecdote: during a no-mass-gain-period...for the ohp, it took me about 100 reps monthly at 82-85% & 20 reps at 90-95% to add 1 pound per month to my ohp 1rm. That sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    that point where he actually cannot get stronger due to a lack of gaining mass? confused
    don't forget that not all mass is equal. fat mass v lean mass.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    You can refine technique and improve motor unit recruitment without significant mass gain for a long fucking time. But you might go crazy first.

Just personal anecdote: during a no-mass-gain-period...for the ohp, it took me about 100 reps monthly at 82-85% & 20 reps at 90-95% to add 1 pound per month to my ohp 1rm. That sucked.
    Hey, that's 12 pounds a year.

Still doesn't sound that good.

So yoy werent using a me/de split? In that case what did your program look like? In your opinion would a me/de be a good choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    So yoy werent using a me/de split? In that case what did your program look like? In your opinion would a me/de be a good choice?
    I don't understand what DE does. As I've read more on the actual physiology of motor unit recruitment & firing rate, I've grown more perplexed by DE. I can't explain it, so I no longer coach it.

I used several different programs. I really liked this TM variation:
    Volume: squats & presses: 3s@rpe8-9, submax pull (15-25 reps)
    Intensity: squats & presses (doubles & singles@rpe9.5-10), deads: alternating weeks of 3rm, 3 heavy singles

I don't understand what DE does. As I've read more on the actual physiology of motor unit recruitment & firing rate, I've grown more perplexed by DE. I can't explain it, so I no longer coach it.

I used several different programs. I really liked this TM variation:
    Volume: squats & presses: 3s@rpe8-9, submax pull (15-25 reps)
    Intensity: squats & presses (doubles & singles@rpe9.5-10), deads: alternating weeks of 3rm, 3 heavy singles
    Did 3's on volume day mean you did 6 or 7 sets?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hugenscrawny View Post
    Did 3's on volume day mean you did 6 or 7 sets?
    I did a weight at RPE 8 until it was 9. Anywhere from 5-10 sets usually. I switched to rpe shit after my son was born...when optimal (or even reasonable) recovery became a fantasy.