starting strength gym

Thread: Back Soreness

drummer989 Guest

Default Back Soreness

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach-

I feel a little stupid asking this question, but I haven't been able to find an answer to it anywhere else. I have been doing SS for about 2 months now, and I have gotten stronger. However, my back is sore in a peculiar way. It feels like the muscles that run parallel to my spine, very near to the spine are extremely sore when pushed on. They don't hurt too much just sitting around, but if they are massaged there is a lot of pain (enough to make me pull away). The pain is not as bad in my lower back, but is worst around my upper-mid back. I'm sorry I don't know enough anatomy to be terribly specific. Anyways, I am still very skinny and trying to gain weight, I'm drinking my whole milk! I am currently about 6'1" and 155 pounds. My squat is 155, bench is 125, press is 75, dl is 185, and i'm currently working on power clean form. For someone of my size, is this kind of soreness normal? Or do I likely have a form or recovery problem? If you want videos of any particular exercises let me know. Thanks so much for taking hours of time to answer these questions for free.

Rick

If I read your post correctly, you are sore all along either side of the spine in the erector muscles, more in the mid-back than lower. It often happens that as younger men gain weight -- especially in the back, for some reason -- the fascias that cover the muscle bellies cannot keep up with the growth. As you train and the muscles try to expand as they warm up and become more flushed with blood, the expansion is restricted by the tight fascias and pain results that can persist after the workout. Try a very hard massage performed by an experienced, unsympathetic therapist and see if this doesn't help. If it works, the results are immediate.

drummer989 Guest

Default Thanks!

Coach-

You read it correctly. Thank you for the fast reply. I will get to work finding a therapist and try that.

Thanks,

Rick