starting strength gym

Thread: replacement for back squats/deadlifts?

Default replacement for back squats/deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey coach-

got a herniated disc (L4/L5) this summer and it's been a brutal recovery. My doc said that I can't do back squats, deadlifts, etc. for the time being. I was wondering what would be a suitable substitute? I am still on starting strength, with my lifts being:

Back Squat: 225x3x5
    Bench: 155x3x5
    Row: 145x3x5
    Press: 110x3x5

I was thinking that front squats would be a good sub for back squats, and pull-ups to replace deadlifts? Any thoughts? Thanks!

I'm thinking that I'd like to see your reasoning in subbing front squats for squats to rehab a disc injury. I'm also curious as to why pullups replace deadlifts when you're supposed to be doing both anyway.

Front squats seem to put less torque on my lower back because I can keep it more vertical (I have a very short torso/very long legs, so when I back squat, my torso is near horizontal). Also, I know that I should do pull-ups anyway and in fact do them anyway. But, I can't do deadlifts until my back gets into better shape. Do you have any ideas for an alternative?

o and one more thing: for rehab, would you recommend doing the same thing that you recommend for muscle belly injuries?

if you have been doing back squats and deadlifts allready with the injury without pain why does the doc want you to stop them?

I herniated several dics in my lower back as well, and my back never feels better than when I'm sticking to a program that is heavy on squats and deadlifts.

You may simply not be able to do them right now if you are still having bad muscle spasms or really severe sciatica, and when you are able to start you obviously want to use light weights and impeccable form, but these lifts are actually excellent therapy for back problems.

Could you explain why the compression of a vertically-loaded back in the front squat is preferable to the more easily managed "torque" of a back squat?

Coach Rippetoe--

I have a nasty back as well except it is degenerative disc disease. I would like to add a question or two to the above. What would you suggest to rehab a bad back? I have been doing deads and squats as per your SSBBT book and my chronic pain has gotten better. However, my orthoprick told me no deads, squats, running...you know usual BS. He just wants to stick a couple of artificial discs in my back. So stay course? Or would you recommend a different approach?

Thanks in advance.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you already know everything you need to know to make that decision for yourself. The orthoprick is a consultant -- and a bad one, at that.