starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who follow SS, lumbar flexion on lift?

Default For those who follow SS, lumbar flexion on lift?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    1) Can someone go over whether my lumbar flexion should be present and WHERE ON squats? I didn't notice a lot about this when Rip was talking about compound lifts on SS's YT or How to be a gentleman's seris on SS:

SQUAT: For instance I see full hip and knee lockout on stepping out of the rack, but I see flexion on the way up, correct? This is after viewing rip himself squat. I played with this today and flexion on lockout makes my shoulder rack area too upright

Deadlift: He says to not round your back but also says in many SS articles that you should have flexion in deadlift too. These seem contradictory to me

2)My 2nd question is about breath:

For shouler press, squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, what are the breathing pattern. For deadlifts rip says to hold them, and for press to breath at the top. How about for other compounds?

Since I have no idea what he's talking about, I'm going to let you guys handle this.

I want to help, but I'm really not sure what you're talking about. Could you give some links? Maybe to the video where you see Rip flexing his lumbar during a squat? Also to the SS article stating that you should flex your lumbar on a deadlift. I'm pretty sure SS is very clear on maintaining lumbar extension throughout both of those movements.

Yeah, I'm not sure you have your terms straight. Can you describe to us what lumbar flexion is?

He posted this on the Reddit page, as well; no one could understand it there, either. That’s saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by zetsui View Post
    1) Can someone go over whether my lumbar flexion should be present and WHERE ON squats? I didn't notice a lot about this when Rip was talking about compound lifts on SS's YT or How to be a gentleman's seris on SS:

SQUAT: For instance I see full hip and knee lockout on stepping out of the rack, but I see flexion on the way up, correct? This is after viewing rip himself squat. I played with this today and flexion on lockout makes my shoulder rack area too upright

Deadlift: He says to not round your back but also says in many SS articles that you should have flexion in deadlift too. These seem contradictory to me

2)My 2nd question is about breath:

For shouler press, squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, what are the breathing pattern. For deadlifts rip says to hold them, and for press to breath at the top. How about for other compounds?
    1. During the lift, keep your spine neutral. Neutral does not mean that the vertebrae are stacked straight in a line on top of each other. Neutral means that kyphotic and lordotic curves exist, just like when you are standing up. Some people will not have "normal" curves.

2. During the lift, do not breathe. At the top of the deadlift, do not breathe.

YouTube

This flexion happens under load at the bottom of my squat. It can also happen on an RDL, no?

So my question is, SS requires lumbar flexion on one hand, on the other hand people say not to do it as it can cause a lot of longterm backpain. Ie your hips should NOT be in flexion

To me this seems like contradictory advice. Will follow up with video of myself squatting soon.

YouTube

This flexion happens under load at the bottom of my squat. It can also happen on an RDL, no?

So my question is, SS requires lumbar flexion on one hand, on the other hand people say not to do it as it can cause a lot of longterm backpain. Ie your hips should NOT be in flexion

To me this seems like contradictory advice. Will follow up with video of myself squatting soon.
    If it happens at the bottom of your squat, you are doing it incorrectly.

SS does not require lumbar flexion. Where are you getting this from?

And why the comparison to a RDL?

YouTube

Do you know the difference between flexion and extension? Lumbar flexion bad. Lumbar extension good (to a certain point).

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry for the long extended video posting

But here's my form on YT

YouTube (heavy)
    YouTube (deload-forgot to take off a plate so no reason to go back from the timestamped link)
    YouTube (this isn't well recorded in that it doesn't show my feet, it's my clean and unfortunatley my friend showed up an hour later than he said he would, so I had to self record on the platform and the angle didn't come out as desired. so don't look at this if you don't want to)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast