starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift technique review

Default Deadlift technique review

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all,

i wanted to have my deadlift technique reviewed. i pulled sumo for several years because of my limb lenghts.
    My tibias are quite long compared to my short femur. That's why in the past i had trouble with my knees being in the way of a straight bar path. That's why i usually have the bar slightly behind my mid foot, so my tibias don't have to come too much forward too touch the bar. (I hope anybody understands.)

The 1. Video is todays Deadlift session, i tried to push my chest more through than i did in the second video, which was on monday.

Top set @ 235:

Link: YouTube

Top set @ 230:

Link: YouTube

Thanks for your help.

Julian
    Last edited by Julian Ganter; 12-19-2018 at 03:28 PM.

And any guess why the embedding didn't work? -> got it...
    Last edited by Julian Ganter; 12-19-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Be careful about your hips; you are dropping them when you set your back. Where they end up when you bring your shins to the bar is where they stay.

Also, keep the shoes you squat in on when you pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Be careful about your hips; you are dropping them when you set your back. Where they end up when you bring your shins to the bar is where they stay.

Also, keep the shoes you squat in on when you pull.
    I squat in those shoes, never had problems with ankle flexibility. Why the elevated heel for pulling?

I'll work on the hips tomorrow. I thought this was necessary to get into the tension to start the pull.

Thanks for your reply.

Go through the steps outlined in this video: The Deadlift Teaching Method | Niki Sims

The elevated heel in a weightlifting shoe isn't typically necessary for ankle flexibility; the sole is solid so you aren't trying to pull while standing on a pillow (running shoes have a lot of cushion). Yours look like they might be zero-drop minimalist running shoes, which are slightly better but still aren't solid enough for heavy training. I used them to start a few years back and had to upgrade.

To get into tension for the pull, lift your chest (without dropping your hips) and pause there for 1s (one-one-thousand), then pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Carrigan View Post
    Go through the steps outlined in this video: The Deadlift Teaching Method | Niki Sims

The elevated heel in a weightlifting shoe isn't typically necessary for ankle flexibility; the sole is solid so you aren't trying to pull while standing on a pillow (running shoes have a lot of cushion). Yours look like they might be zero-drop minimalist running shoes, which are slightly better but still aren't solid enough for heavy training. I used them to start a few years back and had to upgrade.
    I ordered a pair of Adidas Powerlifters last week and the difference when lifting ist incredible. Sorry for being the stupid skeptic i am haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Carrigan View Post
    I tried implementing all the cues that are used in the book. When apply all of them it leaves me with this setup.

Sorry the entire video got lost... this is only an export from iron path, to visualize the bar path.

I have long legs (99 cm) compared to my short torso (75 cm) and rather short arms. So when i apply the "shins approx. 1 inch from the bar" thing i start with super high hips and an more or less vertical back.
    To me this feels wrong. But is it?

We need five reps*, Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    We need five reps*, Julian.
    So today i had 280 for 1x5 planned. The reason why i'm asking about my technique is that i am keep failing my deadlifts in every 2nd session. Today i failed and only got 3 reps then paused 2 minutes and made another 2.
    so the first video is the 2 reps of the "2nd" set.

After those i backed off and did another set with 210 to get some more Reps in regards to technique...
    Last edited by Julian Ganter; 01-25-2019 at 01:43 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Knees out into your elbows at the bottom. Push with your legs; if you’re doing it right, your back is going to be more horizontal for longer than you want. You’re bringing your chest up, but the lower part of your spine wants to be up as well. I have some cues I use for this, but they’re all vulgar.

Are you sure you are hook gripping? I thought I saw your thumb on the outside of your fingers. A little hard to tell from this angle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast