Thread: deadlift form check

Default deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Please critique my deadlift form:

1/12/19 deadlift 295 on Vimeo

tia

Improved a bit. The first rep has your back almost flat, but then it degrades as the set goes on. Get even more back extension. Point your chest at the wall while you get the slack out of your arms. If that position is very uncomfortable before the pull, you're doing it right. It seems your knees are not out enough to get your lower abdomen through so that your lower back can be flat. Knees should track over toes and be touching the inside of your elbows before the pull. Get the camera more forward quarter next time for a better view of knees.

Don't do that overextension hip kick at the top. Just stand up straight, like you do on the later reps.

Picky thing: I wonder if you're gripping the bar more mid-hand. Instead, touch the bar first with the farthest part of your palm, then wrap your fingers around from there.

Thanks for separating out the lifts into different posts. Progress on lifting shoes?

Thank you very much!
    I will do a more forward camera next time. Knees are touching elbows, but maybe my stance is too narrow? Or grip too narrow? I think its about 5" between my heels, toes pointed about 25 degrees out (guestimate)
    Will work on the hip kick.
    The other thing I've noticed is that as the bar is coming up to my knees, the bar gets kicked away a little bit. I don't think it was happening as much in these reps because I was trying more leg extension before moving at the hips. Does this sound like the right move or?
    Will work the grip. I've been fighting some elbow tendonitis and was trying something to see if it helped. It did not.
    I am ordering shoes tonight or tomorrow if I can find my size in stock.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by JD Keip View Post
    Improved a bit. The first rep has your back almost flat, but then it degrades as the set goes on. Get even more back extension. Point your chest at the wall while you get the slack out of your arms. If that position is very uncomfortable before the pull, you're doing it right. It seems your knees are not out enough to get your lower abdomen through so that your lower back can be flat. Knees should track over toes and be touching the inside of your elbows before the pull. Get the camera more forward quarter next time for a better view of knees.

Don't do that overextension hip kick at the top. Just stand up straight, like you do on the later reps.

Picky thing: I wonder if you're gripping the bar more mid-hand. Instead, touch the bar first with the farthest part of your palm, then wrap your fingers around from there.

Thanks for separating out the lifts into different posts. Progress on lifting shoes?

You seem to be doing a good job of keeping the back flat! it does seem to loosen a bit each rep as the set goes on though..

Also.. i say 'set', but this isn't really a set, more like 5 singles, right? Why are you getting up and resting in between reps? Also, on the reps that you do stay down holding the bar, i think you're just staying down too long; that actually can fatigue you, or at least it does for me. Try to take a couple breaths, re set the back, breathe in, squeeze, and lift again. If you can't do consecutive reps than maybe the weight's too heavy?

I was thinking about that as well. I believe I was feeling the form breaking down and wanted to recheck my setup. Will focus on speeding this up! would you call this a failed set and repeat at the same weight?

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    You seem to be doing a good job of keeping the back flat! it does seem to loosen a bit each rep as the set goes on though..

Also.. i say 'set', but this isn't really a set, more like 5 singles, right? Why are you getting up and resting in between reps? Also, on the reps that you do stay down holding the bar, i think you're just staying down too long; that actually can fatigue you, or at least it does for me. Try to take a couple breaths, re set the back, breathe in, squeeze, and lift again. If you can't do consecutive reps than maybe the weight's too heavy?

I am not authorized to answer that question hah I’m just a novice but I comment on things I notice, though try not to give advice.

I think if I felt I could lift this 5 consecutive times I would raise the weight

Quote Originally Posted by jmsdadbod View Post
    Thank you very much!
    I will do a more forward camera next time. Knees are touching elbows, but maybe my stance is too narrow? Or grip too narrow? I think its about 5" between my heels, toes pointed about 25 degrees out (guestimate)
    Will work on the hip kick.
    The other thing I've noticed is that as the bar is coming up to my knees, the bar gets kicked away a little bit. I don't think it was happening as much in these reps because I was trying more leg extension before moving at the hips. Does this sound like the right move or?
    Will work the grip. I've been fighting some elbow tendonitis and was trying something to see if it helped. It did not.
    I am ordering shoes tonight or tomorrow if I can find my size in stock.

Thanks again!
    I'm pretty confident your stance is ok. Too narrow a grip can crowd your legs, maybe that's what's happening. A more forward view will be better for diagnosing this.

Keeping the bar on the legs the whole time may need to be a conscious thing for you around the knees. Hard to see in the current view... I didn't look at it again, but I think your bar path was straight.

I've heard of the squat grip irritating elbows. On the deadlift, if you're getting a jolt at the end of the rep, drop the bar when it's an inch of the ground.

As far as overall tempo, yeah it could be faster, but let's prioritize getting a flat back before the bar leaves the floor. (Years ago, I was yelled at for "burning the glycolytic candle" when I took too long after a fourth deadlift rep.)

Glad to help.

starting strength coach development program
    I'd say go on up and give it a try. Keep videoing your sets and see how it goes.

Jeff is right about fatiguing yourself by staying down too long, or standing up between reps. Barbell Logic just had an interesting talk about this. When you're doing a heavy set of 5, you're tapped into an energy system that's gassed after about 30 seconds. You're wasting that time while you're over the bar messing about. Even if you stand up and take a few breaths, the clock is still ticking and you're not recovering enough for it to make a difference. Obviously don't rush so much that your form suffers, but keep that in mind and try to speed these up.