starting strength gym

Thread: squat help

Default squat help

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    this may be a little ugly but let me know if I'm getting close.

After my previous squat my elbows hurt so bad I couldn't touch the bar for a couple week! So I just did empty bar this time and was just tring to get close to low bar position. I think I ended up a little high still? Form otherwise? Depth?
    Anything else?
    Camera angle ok?

YouTube

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmsdadbod View Post
    this may be a little ugly but let me know if I'm getting close.

After my previous squat my elbows hurt so bad I couldn't touch the bar for a couple week! So I just did empty bar this time and was just tring to get close to low bar position. I think I ended up a little high still? Form otherwise? Depth?
    Anything else?
    Camera angle ok?

YouTube

thanks
    If you watch closely, looks like your leaning forward on to your toes a bit. Can't tell without a perfect side view video but i also suspect it's a bit forward of mid foot.

Try to think more about sitting back into the bottom, rather than just sitting down. And one way to do this is to try to think about staying balanced on your feet, bar over mid foot, with equal pressure on balls and heels.

One thing that will help with this is stopping squatting with those squishy running shoes. I felt a huge difference in stability and ability to seek out the right balance once i got weight lifting shoes, but anything with a harder flatter sole would be better than those squishy old running shoes. like converse, for example.

You're definitely not getting enough lean (you're way too upright and getting too much into your knees), but it's also hard to tell without having weight on the bar. Your stance looks good width wise. Your gaze needs to be fixed though because getting proper lean (which will allow you to get back into your hips and less into your knees) is going to be tough when you're looking forward like that. Look at a spot on the floor 4ish ft in front of you, but at the same time resist the temptation to drop your neck to look between your feet (which can round the upper back and cause you to lose your rigidity). Focus on where all the folks in this video are looking during their squats(YouTube).

Will post a rear 1/4 and a side video next time. Lifting shoes are finally here! We'll see how that feels tonight!
    i will keep working on sitting back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff LC View Post
    If you watch closely, looks like your leaning forward on to your toes a bit. Can't tell without a perfect side view video but i also suspect it's a bit forward of mid foot.

Try to think more about sitting back into the bottom, rather than just sitting down. And one way to do this is to try to think about staying balanced on your feet, bar over mid foot, with equal pressure on balls and heels.

One thing that will help with this is stopping squatting with those squishy running shoes. I felt a huge difference in stability and ability to seek out the right balance once i got weight lifting shoes, but anything with a harder flatter sole would be better than those squishy old running shoes. like converse, for example.