starting strength gym

Thread: Squats and association with Non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION)

Default Squats and association with Non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION)

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Have you heard of any link between heavy squatting and NAION? I ask because when I squat heavy using a belt I get capillary ruptures around my eyes? I was recently diagnosed with NAION. My ophthalmologist was intrigued by the question. He said it has never been described in the literature. Now I'm wondering if I should continue to lift heavy. I'm almost 65, 160#s, 5'5", no other known health issues, most recent heavy squat: 310#s. Thanks.

Never heard of it.

Say what you will about "the literature", it is at least a pretty good shorthand for "things which have happened." If something has never been reported in the literature, it probably won't be, at this point.

Capillary ruptures don't have anything to do with failure of large blood vessels. For God's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by tef View Post
    Have you heard of any link between heavy squatting and NAION? I ask because when I squat heavy using a belt I get capillary ruptures around my eyes? I was recently diagnosed with NAION. My ophthalmologist was intrigued by the question. He said it has never been described in the literature. Now I'm wondering if I should continue to lift heavy. I'm almost 65, 160#s, 5'5", no other known health issues, most recent heavy squat: 310#s. Thanks.
    Have you been holding your valsalva in your mouth?

How often do people here come across somebody who regularly gets capillary ruptures in the face/eyes from heavy lifting?

I get petechiae all over my face, sometimes especially large ones near my eyes. My head's shaved, so you can see it extends to basically my whole head. Definitely not from holding the valsalva with the mouth. Maybe I'm in line for a stroke but I very much doubt it. It just means I'm lifting heavy enough.