starting strength gym

Thread: Want to make sure squat is fine before progressing

Default Want to make sure squat is fine before progressing

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Read the book and all and think my squats look fine, but am beginner and this time really want to seriously start SS and want to get second opinion.

Just want to make sure I am not messing anything up before progressing.

Welcome.

Squats are decent. Some reps are a little high, so try to go an 1" deeper than you think you should. Unfortunately, you're one of those skinny dudes with a very flexible lumbar spine, which means you can very easily over-extend. This can lead to some annoying low back injuries. You'll have to be diligent about squeezing your abs very hard on every rep to maintain a neutral spine position. Get in that habit right now before the weights get heavy. Big breath, abzzz tight, go. Keep squeezing the entire rep.

Being less skinny will help. I look forward to seeing you about 100lbs heavier. Do the program. Drink your milk. Don't quit. Check back in with us. Godspeed!

Thanks for the response, I'll aim for an inch lower next time and squeeze the abs harder. Planning on following Jordan's To Be A Beast untrained novice section since I'm 6'0 160 similar to that person and try to get up to 180 soon, about 4400 calories a day, unless I stop gaining weight, and exhausting the milk supply of the dining halls as well.

Good luck to you. Now go eat! 6'0 / 160 is gross.