starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take you to finish your 5x3 powercleans?

Default How long does it take you to finish your 5x3 powercleans?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    As above just want to know an estimation so i can gauge how long it would take. thanks

15-20 minutes for me. Usually resting for about 3+ minutes in between sets. Slightly less than my heavy 5 rep sets.

I rest about 2-3 minutes between sets, so about 10-15 minutes in total. It's shorter than the time I took doing 3x5 in the slow lifts.

I, too, would have typically gotten them out of the way with shorter rest intervals than 3x5, though the last couple sets would lag a bit. It seems like quick lifts are ready to go again sooner than near-maximal grinding sets. I don't know if appearances are reality, however, as I don't recall running across the assertion in the literature (either the "real" literature or relatively well-trusted sources). Has anybody run across it?

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    I, too, would have typically gotten them out of the way with shorter rest intervals than 3x5, though the last couple sets would lag a bit. It seems like quick lifts are ready to go again sooner than near-maximal grinding sets. I don't know if appearances are reality, however, as I don't recall running across the assertion in the literature (either the "real" literature or relatively well-trusted sources). Has anybody run across it?
    Heavier movements are by their nature slower than lighter movements. The slower movement allows the recruitment of more muscle fibers at the start (which must happen if the heavy weight is to be accelerated). More muscle fibers firing means more energy going toward muscle contraction. More energy means more exhaustion.

From a physical standpoint, one would think that since a PC moves about 1/2 the weight of a deadlift about twice as far, the work is the same. This is true, if you're talking about mechnical work on the bar. But the total energy used is not just the energy going into the bar, but the sum of the energy being used for all extra body processes that moving a heavy weight involves. For instance, more energy goes to keeping the isometric contraction of the back during the DL than the PC. This energy does not actually move the bar (the hips and legs do that), but ATP is still required and is converted to hold the spinal position.

There are probably other wear and tear aspects of heavy lifts that make them require longer rest periods. I've not gotten a clear picture of exactly how muscle damage occurs during a set, but I would expect it to happen more at maximal loads, as one example. As far as literature, I'd have to do some Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    I rest about 2-3 minutes between sets, so about 10-15 minutes in total. It's shorter than the time I took doing 3x5 in the slow lifts.
    interesting i would of thought it would of taken around 30 mins considering its lower reps and more sets...

does that include warmups? same question for you joy

My time included warm-ups. I generally do hang cleans at the end of an ID workout on Texas Method. I'm fairly warmed-up so my sets are generally something like:

50 kg x 3 (1 minute rest)
    60 kg x 3 (1 minute rest)
    80-90 kg x 3 (3ish minute rest in between) x 5

Interesting what RRod was saying about relation to deadlift. Hadn't thought about it in that context. Not sure if my doing hang cleans v. cleaning from the floor would impact those numbers at all.

I rest 1-2 minute between sets. So about 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by deadliftman View Post
    interesting i would of thought it would of taken around 30 mins considering its lower reps and more sets...

does that include warmups? same question for you joy
    Warm-ups don't take me very long for either power cleans or the slow lifts. I basically do all warm-up sets back-to-back, then rest about 3 minutes before my first work set.

EDIT: FWIW, I do all my cleans from the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    If my backs feeling strong, I can usually do all my whole pc (warm ups included) 15-18 mins, about 20-40 seconds a set, 3-3.5 mins rest, 2-3 mins for warm ups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast