starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee Sleeves Are Too Damn Expensive. I have an alternative! Throw some ideas around.

Arrow Knee Sleeves Are Too Damn Expensive. I have an alternative! Throw some ideas around.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    $70 damn dollars for a pair of Rehbands? Screw that! I just want these for warmth, not support.

The Tommy Konos are cheaper, although I still think they're overpriced, but they look like they may be too warm. I'm in California.

My knees feel stiff sometimes and I think they cold contributes to it. Hopefully I'm not developing bloody arthritis, I'm only 21!

Really now, they're bloody neoprene in a tube shape, no way they should be that expensive.

They have some neoprene fabric on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkp...&_sop=15&_sc=1

Unfortunately most of it is 2 or 3mm, but I guess you could make it double layered. They have thicker ones, but they're in excessive quantities. There might be a store near you that sells it.

It seems like it would be a pretty easy stitching job, but I don't have a sewing machine and don't know if hand stitching could match it. Some flat seams, some elastic fabric sowed into the top, you're done.

Anyone want to try making them and sending me a pair for coming up with this brilliant idea? I'll pay for shipping and materials.
    Last edited by Bukujutsu; 02-29-2012 at 07:33 AM.

nm

I have some nice THICK knee sleeves that work pretty well. They sometimes sell joint supports in supermarkets and discount sports retailers. While these are normal way too small and flimsy to be used on the knees of any squatter. What I did was buy THIGH supports. In two sizes, medium and large. Doubled up they make fantastic thick, warm knee supports.

Ive stopped relying on supports now, so ive stopped using them.

Sheiko neoprene knee sleeves are exactly the same as TK knee sleeves and cost less.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Sheiko neoprene knee sleeves are exactly the same as TK knee sleeves and cost less.
    where can one buy these?

I just bought some cheap ones from Dick's Sporting Goods and they work great. I think they were $20-25/pair. They're not very thick and they don't offer support, but that's not what they're for. What they're for is to keep my knees warm, and they do an excellent job at it. Even when it's in the 20s in my garage, my knees are warm. They don't add a single pound to the bar, but by the time I finish my warmup I'm ready to go.

I just want them for warmth, not support.

I saw these recommended at Marunde Muscle:

http://www.dinostrength.net/node/6

The price is reasonable enough.

Going to look for more reviews of them now.

Will also check out the ones at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I really think you should just go for the TK bands if you want knee warmth. They really work well and for $40 I don't get how you can complain.

I used to use the cheapo kind from the drug store but they didn't come close to the warmth my TK bands can keep on the knee.

Are you in the America? Consider the EliteFTS ones. They're a bit stiff at first and more like a wrap, but they break down and then are just warm.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I really think you should just go for the TK bands if you want knee warmth. They really work well and for $40 I don't get how you can complain.

I used to use the cheapo kind from the drug store but they didn't come close to the warmth my TK bands can keep on the knee.
    What's the temperature like in the area you use them? I'm afraid they'll be too warm, the gym I go to is pretty stuffy. At least 70F, maybe up to 80.

Someone mentioned that they were warm enough to cause sweat to run down their leg.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast