starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I stalling too early?

Default Am I stalling too early?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    After buying and reading Starting Strength, I began a linear progression program 9 weeks ago. I'm 37 and took Mark's advice for older trainees by starting light and making smaller incremental increases hoping I wouldn't stall too early.

Over the last 9 weeks, my work sets have gone up as follows:

Squat 95 - 170
    Press 65 - 95
    Deadlift 95 - 210
    Bench 95 -145
    Clean 65 - 95 (still working on form)

I feel like I'm stalling on the squat and press especially. I'm just shy of 5'10" and weigh 165. I'm not opposed to gaining weight, but I don't know if I need to be a lot heavier to make progress on the relatively light weights listed above. I didn't do GOMAD becasue as I read in one of Mark's articles, GOMAD isn't for everyone, and I'm not an underweight 19 year old.

Any advice for this novice?

I really don't know when age 37 became so elderly that people worry about this shit.

I mean, I am sorry if I sound harsh, but you are grown ass man fully capable of lifting a fuck ton more weight than that unless you have some utterly shitty genetics or major form issues.

If I were you, I would absolutely refuse to accept these numbers as a "stall." And, I am going to tell you right now that your press ESPECIALLY will benefit if you stop weighing less than I do.

Advice: Eat. Get the fuck out of your head and lift.

At your weight I personally think there's a good chance that it's a form/mental issue. I'd start by getting some critiques of your form and then go from there.

While I agree with TBone, don't take that to mean you should use GOMAD. Eat a lot of meat and good carbs (potatoes, rice, etc.) and keep trying to gain weight. You can certainly drink some milk though, and personally I think your best bet is to make protein shakes with the milk you drink.

And, I am going to beat the shit out of anyone who comes along and says that you have to do something differently when you are 37.

I will hit you with my wrist splint and knock your ass unconscious.

I sat at WFAC and got pissed as hell when Stef looked at me and said, "Unlike some people, I don't use my age as an excuse." She was right.

Fucking people in their 30s using age as an excuse.

KILL ME.

Thanks for the advice. I provided my age for iinformation since people usually ask, "How old are you and how much do you weigh?"

Also, you say you feel like you are stalling, but are you actually stalling?

You say you "feel" like your stalling. Stalling is when you don't make your reps on several occasions. If you're not missing reps get it out of your head that your "stalling" and just lift the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by jkw View Post
    Also, you say you feel like you are stalling, but are you actually stalling?
    Beaten by 1 minute!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    You say you "feel" like your stalling. Stalling is when you don't make your reps on several occasions. If you're not missing reps get it out of your head that your "stalling" and just lift the weight.
    I used the wrong term. I have not stalled.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast