starting strength gym

Thread: to failure

Default to failure

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip:
    After reading your books (Strong Enough, SSBBT2, and PPST) I have enjoyed great personal success with the barbell. Before reading your books, for near twenty years, I had very little barbell success. I did not look like someone who lifted (i.e. big and strong) and my numbers were pathetic.

One problem with my training was eating - I did not eat enough. The other problem, I think, was taking every set to failure. Most of my information came from bodybuilding sources which, at the time, recommended going to failure; wasted, breathless, lying on the floor, failure.

I know now that failure does not work to get you stronger, but why does it not work? Any ideas on why completing (for example) three sets of 5 at 100 pounds makes you consistently stronger but 4 sets of 10-12reps (to failure) at 70 pounds fails to do the same thing? Even with the 70 pounds?

Because 40-48 reps at 70 lbs. is not as heavy as 15 reps at 100 lbs., and it is too many reps. Strength and growth come from adaptation and recovery, and light weights at high reps are not enough adaptive stress to cause you to need to be bigger, while at the same time they are harder to recover from because of the volume.

Failure is not the goal. Getting stronger is the goal. Leaving a little in the tank just short of the utmost, last, teeth gritting rep will allow you to recover better and get stronger for the next session of challenging your current limits.

Rip:

Is it a question of recovery or stimulus?

In other words, if the 3 X 5 work sets are loaded to the point where 5 reps of each set are completed and a sixth is attempted, but failed at, would the (linear) progress be slower/non existent because the failure does too much "damage" for lack of a better term? Or does the act of failing itself (unsuccessfully completing a rep) negatively affect muscle growth?

Failing on the sixth rep of three sets means that you still completed 3 X 5, right?

(or does it - if you take the first set to failure at number six could you even complete five reps in sets 2 and three?)

Thanks

If the first set is a 5RM, as you describe, the next two sets will probably not be completed. But this is not how the program works.