starting strength gym

Thread: Calories and Macros for Rip's Hypothetical Novice Male

Default Calories and Macros for Rip's Hypothetical Novice Male

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I tried posting this once and it never showed up, so I'm not sure what's going on. Sorry if this is a double post.

I was reading through the nutrition and bodyweight section of SSBBT and it's a little freaky how exact I fit the profile of Rip's hypothetical subject: "novice male between the ages of 18 and 35 with a starting bodyweight of 160–175 pounds." I'm 25 years old, 5'10" and 165-170 pounds with a body fat of ~10%. Like I said, a little freaky how much I fit the profile.

What I gathered from the book is that I pretty much need to be eating twice what I'm accustomed to. The problem I've drawn up in my head is how do I eat 5000-6000 calories a day without everything being McDonalds? I can't imagine eating that many calories and maintaining some sort of a clean diet. I realize a gallon of milk will add quite a few calories on its own, I just hope I can drink that much without getting sick.

So my question becomes, how do I meet the caloric intake without dying from heart disease in the process? What macros should I be shooting for?

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    I realize a gallon of milk will add quite a few calories on its own, I just hope I can drink that much without getting sick.
    If you want/need to, you can. People freak out about how much liquid that is, but if you split it up into 4 or 8 portions throughout the day, you just end up a bit more hydrated than normal, and still able to eat good-sized meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I found that yesterday and calculated my calories at 4125 (25 x 165). The book made it sound like I needed to eat a lot more than that, 6k or "YNDTP." So will the 4125 be fine or what, because there's a pretty significant difference between the two.

I found that yesterday and calculated my calories at 4125 (25 x 165). The book made it sound like I needed to eat a lot more than that, 6k or "YNDTP." So will the 4125 be fine or what, because there's a pretty significant difference between the two.
    Depends what you're eating now, as mentioned in the article.

Peanut butter.

starting strength coach development program
    A lot of it is about consistency. For most people just starting out, since they don't actually measure what they eat, the point is to get them to eat more. If you're aiming for 6k, you'll at least be in the right ballpark even if you fall short. For what it's worth, I'm around 250 and slowly putting on weight at 5000/day.