starting strength gym

Thread: High carb days - when and how?

Default High carb days - when and how?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Couple of questions about high carb days that IŽve been thinkin about lately. IŽll write each of them separately for

1) As far as IŽve understod the reason behind using them is to cause fauvorola changes to hormonal milieu, enhance recovery and provide fuel for the heavy training days. On top of that thereŽs the psychological aspect as well. Anything else that I didnŽt mention?

2) For who do you recommend having high carb days? Is the situation (almost) the same for someone who is trying to lean out, maintain weight or gain some muscle? For example in the latter case, would you keep the macros on the plus side on all days or does some fluctuation with carb intake have some benefit?

3) What determines the frequency of high carb days, like employing it once or twice a week?

4) How do you determine the macros? Do you use somekind of multiplier? If a normal day would be something like P:240/C:200/F:60 would the high carb day be something like P: 0,9 x 240/C: 1,75 x 200/F: 0,9 x 60 ?

Thanks! Happy holidays..

1) Increased dietary variety.

2) People who are compliant but are on the verge of blowing their brains out from dieting. People who are on low (relative) macros and thus would not otherwise get "lots of carbs" on a normal day. Weight gain clients are unlikely to require a high carb day once their macros get really high. I don't see a reason for carb fluctuation for a weight gain client. To me it's micromanaging a process that can't be micromanaged, i.e. muscle gain happens so slowly that micromanaging might just end up preventing it.

3) Training volume, age, sex, body fat.

4) I base it off previous dietary habits plus a dynamic algorithm I've determined from input via all my clients and how their body weight changes in response to certain macros (and changes to them), age, sex, height, and conditioning frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post

3) Training volume, age, sex, body fat.

4) I base it off previous dietary habits plus a dynamic algorithm I've determined from input via all my clients and how their body weight changes in response to certain macros (and changes to them), age, sex, height, and conditioning frequency.
    Many thanks!

A follow-up question about 3.

3) Is the need of high carb days dictated by higher training volume? Does someone training 3 days/week with a program like SS benefit from high carb days? What would be an example of high volume training in your book? How much does the intensity play a role in this? Like how many sets are done above 85% or so.

And I guess that the 4. is one of your professional secrets.

3) Not necessarily. 3b) They might. 3c) 30-50 reps of the competition lifts/variants per week or so above 75% would be a good start, plus conditioning, plus sports practice, etc.

4) Not for long. It's all in The Book.