starting strength gym

Thread: PWO fat

Default PWO fat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I understand the reasoning for limiting fat intake PWO and agree that is a good idea. But unless one is using supplements only to make up their PWO nutrition then that becomes difficult to achieve. Even single ingredient foods have an inherent fat content. For example, if I use rolled oats for my PWO, usually 120g worth, the macros for that are 20g/108g/12g PRO/CHO/FAT, I usually mix that with 1% milk and then once I add whey to get my protein numbers somewhere in the 60g range the total fat number shoots up to almost 20 (by the way this is the total for both my pre and post). I've read you say to keep the fat content of the PWO nutrition to below 10g in one of the threads here, but as you can see that can be difficult to do in the example above. So what is the maximum total fat allowable PWO?

Thanks.

It's not so much about what's allowable as much as what is optimal. Optimal PWO meal would be really lean protein like chicken breast/fish/WPI or egg whites and a good hunk of carbs that don't have lots of fiber in them and no added fat. Ultimately, I don't think it matters too much with respect to the fat periworkout until you start getting calorie restricted or are having multiple workouts per day. I also think periworkout would be the time to have lower protein intakes vs. larger due to how sensitive the body is to amino acids at this point.

So in light of that, would you recommend any changes to my periworkout nutrition? Changing the way oats to something sans fiber? Only problem I see with that is that I will have trouble hitting the 35g of fiber I get now given my macros you recommended for me some time ago (275/175/115 P/C/F).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Nah I'd probably just keep the oats and either skip the milk or keep it fat free chocolate goodness.

Well I thought of that but it's the oats that provide majority of the fat in the shake (6g), milk providing only 3g. But either way it's a moot point now. I splurged on dextrose and BCAAs today. Hahaha f*** you Sallie Mae, I needs my gaaainzzz!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

starting strength coach development program
    That works too, haha.