starting strength gym

Thread: It was a good Thanksgiving training day

Default It was a good Thanksgiving training day

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
    Im clearly not an expert but to my untrained eye it looks like you clearly had enough height there on both misses and you always receive the bar quite high. Is depth at the bottom something you work on or is the technique roughly where you want it to be?

Looking pretty solid Tamara. When's the meet?

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    Im clearly not an expert but to my untrained eye it looks like you clearly had enough height there on both misses and you always receive the bar quite high. Is depth at the bottom something you work on or is the technique roughly where you want it to be?
    What works for me is to receive the bar where I pull it. I don't purposefully full snatch light weights unless that is what my coach wants me to work on that day. This means that normally I am powering almost everything up to my last few heavy reps. I've legitimately powered 67, although on a day when my legs are tired, I might have to full snatch anything over 60. It just depends. My technique is hardly where I want it in terms of bottom position, but considering that I have taken my snatch from 53 when I started working with Jim last year to 69 today, I'm hardly concerned. I don't pause in the bottom with snatches and I doubt I ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    Looking pretty solid Tamara. When's the meet?
    Oops. That is the problem with being on my phone. I quoted this and then didn't answer. I lift next Friday, November 30. The meet is November 30 through December 2.
    Last edited by Tamara Reynolds; 11-22-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Wow, great job considering how many 90%+ lifts you did there! Congrats on a PR!

I don't pause in the bottom with snatches and I doubt I ever will.
    I heard Tommy Kono say in a video online somewhere that you can tell a good lifter because looks like they're bouncing - i.e. it's all one, smooth fluid movement, transitioning from pull to stand like a ball bouncing up, with no pausing anywhere (well, until preparing for the jerk obviously).

Are you suggesting she should be further on the edge? That IS where the higher intensity is but then you're in danger of a red-line overload.

No one wants that... well except that that's the only way she'll talk to you.

What works for me is to receive the bar where I pull it. I don't purposefully full snatch light weights unless that is what my coach wants me to work on that day. This means that normally I am powering almost everything up to my last few heavy reps. I've legitimately powered 67, although on a day when my legs are tired, I might have to full snatch anything over 60. It just depends. My technique is hardly where I want it in terms of bottom position, but considering that I have taken my snatch from 53 when I started working with Jim last year to 69 today, I'm hardly concerned. I don't pause in the bottom with snatches and I doubt I ever will. .
    Yeah dont take what I said as a direct criticism, I dont even do Oly lifts yet! I was asking questions.

Questions and learning. And your progression has been great/

Yeah dont take what I said as a direct criticism, I dont even do Oly lifts yet! I was asking questions.

Questions and learning. And your progression has been great/
    Oh, I know! There are some different schools of thought on teaching power versus full first, catching high and riding it down, catching where you pull it, etc. Of all of my lifters who compete, I am really the only one who does it this way. Everyone else can catch and pause in the bottom on a full snatch. But, this is what works for me.

In general, I just don't want people full snatching (or cleaning) a weight that they pull high and then let crash down on them because they don't know how to meet it where they pull it.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah understandable. Its just frustrating cause I can see you probably have another 5kg in their easily if you caught it lower. Maybe im wrong (likely) but hey, there's a reason they say it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert.

P.s. you should see my snatch technique.. Always good if you are feeling down.