starting strength gym

Thread: Finding a SS trainer?

Default Finding a SS trainer?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm an older dude (50+) wanting to begin the SS program. I've read Coach's excellent SS book (both versions), and I know I just need to find a properly equipped gym and just get to it, but I think I would greatly benefit from starting out with an SS-knowledgeable trainer to get me off on the right track. I'm in San Diego. If any of you can recommend a good gym and/or trainer I'd greatly appreciate it. I do not have space at home for a rack set up, and I do not have a training partner. Pathetic, I know.

Moderators, if this is not an appropriate subject for the forums, please feel free to delete the thread.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thanks Coach. The closest is the esteemed Paul Horn up in Los Angeles. Not very close, unfortunately, but maybe I can see if he's available for a session or two so I can make sure I have the basics down. I may have to go to your SS coaches training and open up an SS gym in San Diego.

Go see The Legend. You won't regret it.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Go see The Legend. You won't regret it.
    I've sent Mr. Horn a message through his website. But we still need a squat camp in San Diego. We're overrun with CF and the like.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I'm an older dude (50+) wanting to begin the SS program. I've read Coach's excellent SS book (both versions), and I know I just need to find a properly equipped gym and just get to it, but I think I would greatly benefit from starting out with an SS-knowledgeable trainer to get me off on the right track. I'm in San Diego. If any of you can recommend a good gym and/or trainer I'd greatly appreciate it.
    I was in your position less than a month ago, except I'm 64, a barbell virgin (never touched one until a few weeks ago) and live in Wisconsin. Here's what I did, maybe it would work for you in SD. Couldn't find an SS certified trainer anywhere near. I got a list of all the gyms, fitness centers, CF places near me, and just started calling asking for trainers familiar with Rippetoe and Starting Strength (tried to find owner or chief honcho where possible). Also google searched the area for terms like Rippetoe and 'Starting Strength". Sorry don't remember exact search terms but tried several. Pretty much right away I Id'd two guys. Arranged interview/trial workout with both. Trial workout (squats and presses only for both) was useful since I could see how closely their instructions and cues and critiques matched the SS book. Liked both and felt I could work with either, picked one based on scheduling convenience.

Have had 6 sessions with the one I picked and am finding he follows the SS book pretty closely, but he has a few independent thoughts too, and is conversant with other approaches (eg Wendler). I figure I can always post videos here for second opinions, or travel to an SS certified coach for a session or two if I feel the need at some point. Having the book as a reference is really helpful.