starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt in a Deadlift is Slack at Bottom

Default Belt in a Deadlift is Slack at Bottom

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My belt tends to go slack at the start position of the deadlift. It moves around slightly on my back when I'm bent over.

I have the 3" Best Belt. (I use a 4" belt for squats).

It feel tighter when I stand up.

Should I tighten it up a notch?

I kind of feel like the belt is more necessary in the squat than the deadlift.

Was just curious if anyone else experiences this.

I put the belt on loose, get into a relatively correct starting position, let the belt find where it wants to go, then hold it in place, stand up, and tighten it. It usually doesn't move when I do that. Everyone has a different trick.

I'm still deadlifting without a belt. I haven't found a solution that has made me happy yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    I put the belt on loose, get into a relatively correct starting position, let the belt find where it wants to go, then hold it in place, stand up, and tighten it. It usually doesn't move when I do that. Everyone has a different trick.
    Excellent. Like this much. Thanks Nick!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    That sounds like a good solution. Here's mine (may also apply to other little guys like me) I just tighten it moderately tight in as high a position as possible around my waist but below your sternum, get in the bottom position, and shove the front down a bit and back up until it settles into place. There's a groove for it, it's just not a horizontal one, and this helps me find it. There's no groove for a 4" belt, so when I have to pull in that, I do in fact put it around my sternum, right under my pecs. Seems to work pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    That sounds like a good solution. Here's mine (may also apply to other little guys like me) I just tighten it moderately tight in as high a position as possible around my waist but below your sternum, get in the bottom position, and shove the front down a bit and back up until it settles into place. There's a groove for it, it's just not a horizontal one, and this helps me find it. There's no groove for a 4" belt, so when I have to pull in that, I do in fact put it around my sternum, right under my pecs. Seems to work pretty well.
    The 4" belt worked it's way under my ribs. Not too comfortable. I guess higher is better.

BTW Adam, I look forward to meeting you at Iron Fest. Gonna be an awesome day.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    The 4" belt worked it's way under my ribs. Not too comfortable. I guess higher is better.

BTW Adam, I look forward to meeting you at Iron Fest. Gonna be an awesome day.
    Well, why the heck weren't you at the seminar last weekend?!

Well, why the heck weren't you at the seminar last weekend?!
    I didn't plan for it because work is always too busy in October, and my schedule can sometimes confirm with only a day or two of notice.

As it turns out I could have done it, but I would have registered only the day before, and I had 10 days of no training up until then, due to late nights and a big out of town gig. I think I'd get more out of it if I show up rested, and not slightly detrained.

Gonna do the one here next summer, when work is slow, or whenever the next one is.

I am bummed that I missed it, I'm sure it was a great time and educational.
    Last edited by John Watson; 10-16-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    I didn't plan for it because work is always too busy in October, and my schedule can sometimes confirm with only a day or two of notice.

As it turns out I could have done it, but I would have registered only the day before, and I had 10 days of no training up until then, due to late nights and a big out of town gig. I think I'd get more out of it if I show up rested, and not slightly detrained.

Gonna do the one here next summer, when work is slow, or whenever the next one is.

I am bummed that I missed it, I'm sure it was a great time and educational.
    No worries, man. I'll give you the 5 minute Cliff's Notes of the ~27.5 hours of instruction next Saturday.

starting strength coach development program
    No worries, man. I'll give you the 5 minute Cliff's Notes of the ~27.5 hours of instruction next Saturday.
    Ha! Nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast