starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm about to Not Do The Program

Unhappy I'm about to Not Do The Program

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Guys,
    I've been struggling with technique on power cleans for the last 6 or 7 workouts. I've read the book a couple of times, watched videos, etc. Posted a form-check and received a couple of pointers, which I have tried to apply. But still I feel awkward and crappy whenever I perform this movement. My wrists and elbows get sore. I have made very little progression in weight since I added PC to my workouts 2 months ago.

I am receiving coaching via the web, but I don't have access to a live coach right now. I'm not opposed to keep working at it, but I'm starting to think that I may be wasting training time that could be used more productively with some other much, much easier-to-perform exercise (like rows). But, I want to Do The Program. I am frustrated.

Suggestions?

Learn to power snatch.

I think choosing to quit when things get difficult and uncomfortable is a terrific way to improve.

Just sub another sub-maximal pull for power cleans.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Just sub another sub-maximal pull for power cleans.
    Like maybe another one that relies on pretty instantaneous motor unit recruitment, since that's one of the main reasons power cleans are included in the program to begin with? Maybe one that doesn't cause the kind of elbow and wrist issues as the power clean. Oh, I don't know, like the power snatch?

Quote Originally Posted by atb5161 View Post
    I think choosing to quit when things get difficult and uncomfortable is a terrific way to improve.
    I'm not quitting. I've been working at it, believe me. I just question whether it's valuable for me to continue to working on it at this point, versus doing a different movement that I can do properly.

Quote Originally Posted by EricT View Post
    I'm not quitting. I've been working at it, believe me. I just question whether it's valuable for me to continue to working on it at this point, versus doing a different movement that I can do properly.
    Well, if a real coach is actually not an option, and you didn't get sufficiently helpful feedback from your form check (which I hope you posted in the Coach's Q&A section, not the everybody-can-play Technique or Training sections), you can power snatch. It's in the book as part of the program for when power cleans are contraindicated. Not saying they are contraindicated for you, but unless you can use them productively, the power snatch is the best option left. So power snatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Like maybe another one that relies on pretty instantaneous motor unit recruitment, since that's one of the main reasons power cleans are included in the program to begin with? Maybe one that doesn't cause the kind of elbow and wrist issues as the power clean. Oh, I don't know, like the power snatch?
    Sure. I absolutely love them.

BUT, if the OP is a supreme spazz with shit shoulder & t-spine mobilty, snatch/clean pulls might be a better option.

If OP has a sub 405# dl and a sub 25" svj, aren't we being pedantic?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Sure. I absolutely love them.

BUT, if the OP is a supreme spazz with shit shoulder & t-spine mobilty, snatch/clean pulls might be a better option.

If OP has a sub 405# dl and a sub 25" svj, aren't we being pedantic?
    The OP is not a spazz, and does indeed have a sub 405# DL. SVJ is untested. I will give the power snatch a try, thanks for your advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by EricT View Post
    The OP is not a spazz, and does indeed have a sub 405# DL. SVJ is untested. I will give the power snatch a try, thanks for your advice.
    Good.

Someone with too much freetime needs to draft up a "Not Doing the Program" flowchart.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast