starting strength gym

Thread: Squats and Ankle pain

Default Squats and Ankle pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I feel painful tension at the bottom of my squat just slightly above my left ankle. It was building up on volume days (120kgx3x5) and kicked in during my intensity day (132.5x5) and made it painful to walk. It's getting easier to move but even light squats kick the pain back in so I'm not sure if it's possible to train through it. Deadlifts are fine. Any advice on the subject? I wish I could provide a video and I will try if it's needed.

5'8 - 85kg trying to progress on the texas method.

Ankle is a very general description. Where exactly does it hurt? What is your injury history with the ankle?

Apologies for the simple description, my anatomy could use a polishing. http://www.drandyfranklynmiller.com/...ankle-anatomy/ Slightly above the top middle blue dot on this picture. I have never had ankle problems before and have been squatting for a year or two maybe. The only noticeable difference I could think of is maybe pointing my toes out at a slightly more open angle and changing from squatting in chucks to rogue do-wins which I thought would be more beneficial. Tried to squat light (60kgx5) for a few sets and it's gradually recovering but I don't want to slow down the process.

This is an unusual place to hurt from squats. Video might be in order.

Agreed. I'll film a set or two on tuesday when I try again. Thanks for the patience Tom.

I had a similar, if not the same, problem when I used flat shoes. I switched to the .5" Do-Wins and the problem went away immediately. I'd get pain in my peroneals from above my ankle bone all the way up to my knee. Only squats caused it. YMMV.

https://vimeo.com/110895090

Here's a video. First time I've squat in a few weeks so i did 3x5 at 100kg. This is the last set. I've used flat shoes and have noticed I keep the weight on the middle of my foot much better than compared to using do-wins; It's probably worth mentioning that occasionally i came up on my toes with squat shoes when i drove my hips, but I found this does not occur. Still some pain but felt much better.

Slow your descent down. You are divebombing into the bottom. Also push you knees out more. I suspect your ankles may not appreciate the rather sudden pounding they are taking.

Thanks Tom, never even considered that. I'll give it another shot on saturday. I'll lower the weight and keep my squats going at an LP while slowing down.

starting strength coach development program
    See if you can stay at the same weight and just slow down your descent.