starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is 325. It felt remarkably easy. Is my back losing extension? The last 2 reps it doesn't look quite as flat. Keep moving up by 10's?

http://youtu.be/QU_UdnOX9qI

Back looks pretty good. You would probably be able to set it even better if you weren't pushing the bar forward with your shins prior to every rep. This causes the bar to be out of contact with your legs for much of the rep and to swing back towards you. Remember, we like straight lines on the pull. Go up by five pounds next time. Get the bar over the middle of the foot, get very tight and drag it up your legs. On the whole, you deads look pretty good. Just need a little polish.

Thanks tom. I've had that issue for a while. I can't seem to get mentally comfortable without pushing the bar forward a little to get my ass lower and make it easier for me to set my back. It's because of a previous injury im crazy about needing to be sure I'm extended. I just don't feel like I set my back as well when it's over the mid foot. Any cues for this that work best?

Tom, it seems to me that his hip goes up at the start of every pull, which indicates that he may be dropping his hips. This may also be why his shin is moving forward during the setup to push the bar forward.

Does that seem correct to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chickma2 View Post
    Thanks tom. I've had that issue for a while. I can't seem to get mentally comfortable without pushing the bar forward a little to get my ass lower and make it easier for me to set my back. It's because of a previous injury im crazy about needing to be sure I'm extended. I just don't feel like I set my back as well when it's over the mid foot. Any cues for this that work best?
    You must get used to the idea that the deadlift start will be uncomfortable. Anything that makes it more comfortable is probably not helpful and may cause problems. Your back is more likely to round having the bar too far in front than with proper alignment. Think "bar on the shins to start."

Quote Originally Posted by leo92 View Post
    Tom, it seems to me that his hip goes up at the start of every pull, which indicates that he may be dropping his hips. This may also be why his shin is moving forward during the setup to push the bar forward.

Does that seem correct to you?
    Yep.

starting strength coach development program
    My shins actually do touch the bar to start and drag up my legs and stay in contact the entire time on most of my deadlift reps. I just push the bar forward w my shins and drag them up from the forward position. I'll try to start closer from now on.