starting strength gym

Thread: Weightlifting shoes and balance problems

Default Weightlifting shoes and balance problems

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I realize this is repetitive - that's why I'm posting it here!

Up to this point while going through Starting Strength, I've been wearing Chuck Taylors for all of my lifts. However, my squat weight (265) has started to feel challenging. I'm noticing that the Chucks feel somewhat "unstable" while squatting - the more I read about WL shoes, the more convinced I am that I need to get a pair sooner rather than later. In SS, Rip recommends a shoe with a 0.5 - 0.75 inch heel.

One concern/question I do have is that some people seem to have balance problems with the low-bar squat when wearing WL shoes due to the raised heel. That is, some people complain that the shoe shifts their balance forward onto their toes. I haven't found a local store yet that stocks WL shoes - so, I'm probably going to have to purchase them online (e.g. RogueFitness.com) and try them out. But before I spend any money, I would appreciate some insight from people who have experienced the balance problem I described above.

Thanks!

I can't directly help, but I used Chucks for a while then went to weightlifting shoes. I think at first there was an adjustment, but if you sit in the hole and keep your head down, I think you will be OK. Perhaps the balance problems comes from poor technique? Cut the weight down a bit or least do some practice lifts with a lighter weight. I really like weightlifting shoes for squats. I like Chucks for deadlifting and rows though.

Quote Originally Posted by kapatterson83 View Post
    I realize this is repetitive - that's why I'm posting it here!

Up to this point while going through Starting Strength, I've been wearing Chuck Taylors for all of my lifts. However, my squat weight (265) has started to feel challenging. I'm noticing that the Chucks feel somewhat "unstable" while squatting - the more I read about WL shoes, the more convinced I am that I need to get a pair sooner rather than later. In SS, Rip recommends a shoe with a 0.5 - 0.75 inch heel.

One concern/question I do have is that some people seem to have balance problems with the low-bar squat when wearing WL shoes due to the raised heel. That is, some people complain that the shoe shifts their balance forward onto their toes. I haven't found a local store yet that stocks WL shoes - so, I'm probably going to have to purchase them online (e.g. RogueFitness.com) and try them out. But before I spend any money, I would appreciate some insight from people who have experienced the balance problem I described above.

Thanks!
    You decide if your weight is on your toes or mid-foot. We'll help if you post videos. Get the shoes.

There is no reason to not get the shoes. The balance "problem" can be easily shifted by yourself while squatting, it might take a few sessions at a lower weight to get comfortable with the shoes.

All,

Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to hear some ideas before I bought the shoes. Hopefully, I won't have any balance issues - if I do, I will schedule another appointment with my local Starting Strength coach. Thanks for your time!

Brian was having issues with this for a while. He got used them and is solid now.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kapatterson83 View Post
    All,

Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to hear some ideas before I bought the shoes. Hopefully, I won't have any balance issues - if I do, I will schedule another appointment with my local Starting Strength coach. Thanks for your time!
    I was around 250 when purchasing shoes - had been squatting in jesus sandles previously. Had a minor balance issue the first time squatting, but more importantly my lower quads were far more sore than normal afterwards, to the point where my next workout consisted of not squatting. I echo what others stated about going down in weight, not only because of potential balance but also to prevent what occurred with me. You will likely be back to PR's in 2-3 workouts.

Get the shoes.