starting strength gym

Thread: Help me understand RDLs

Default Help me understand RDLs

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I don't understand RDLs. Am I supposed to try and add more weight, to program it similar to the main lifts? Why doesn't adding more weight feel like anything is different except for the bar being harder to grip? Are they a waste of time?

I was doing them wrong and didn't feel anything. When I started doing them correctly it made a big difference. I start at the top instead f the floor and stop the movement just below my knees instead of letting it go as far as it can (which is like 4 inches below my feet). Then squeeze it back up fast.

That was a really helpful description, thanks!

I love RDLs. Andy has a great video on them here.

Thank you. The first time I did them, or anytime after not doing them for a while, I'm fairly crippled afterward. But lately they feel like nothing. I've been doing more hamstring stretching so maybe that helps. I do not know where to start with the weight though since there really isn't any clue for me where to start like the bar slowing down or it feeling difficult. What's difficult is grip strength. I'll check the video and hopefully maybe I can figure these out. I was told by the chiropractor that working on my hamstrings would be helpful, especially since I sit all day.

On the eccentric, focus on not letting your knees bend any more than they were before you started the lift.

starting strength coach development program
    I've always had to strap RDL's. Decellerating the weight at the bottom is extremely hard on my grip.