starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method for Strength & Aesthetics

Default Texas Method for Strength & Aesthetics

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello, I was wondering if you could help me put together a Texas Method styled 3 days a week routine to cater to the things I want, haha. But first, some background information.

Weight: 165lbs
    Squat: 390lbs
    Close grip bench: 230lbs (I close grip due to shoulder pains from a wider grip)
    OHP: 160lbs
    Deadlift: 335lbsx5 (Haven't deadlifted since I got this PR)

I would love to do Texas Method and start eating a lot more to get to around 200lbs, and I am interested in strength and aesthetics. I would like to put an emphasis on my squat and ohp strength on this routine, as well as focusing on my upper back, hamstring and tricep size. I'm just not sure how I should structure this routine to cater to the things I want. Help please?

Split routine for you. Texas Method program is designed to focus on strictly increasing your strength on a handful of barbell lifts. If you want/need to add in some assistance work, it is hard to hang that on the skeleton of the TM.

I would do something like this:

Bench + Asst
    Squat + Asst

Press + Asst
    Deads + Asst

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Split routine for you. Texas Method program is designed to focus on strictly increasing your strength on a handful of barbell lifts. If you want/need to add in some assistance work, it is hard to hang that on the skeleton of the TM.

I would do something like this:

Bench + Asst
    Squat + Asst

Press + Asst
    Deads + Asst
    Thank you very much for your opinion. However, I have another, slightly irrelevant, question.
    I have been reading up on the 20 Rep Squat routine, and I was wondering if this program is for beginner, intermediate or advanced lifters? Which of those categories would I fall under? And does it increase 1RM strength or purely 20RM strength? Thanks Andy.

I think there are better ways to train for someone in your position. I would be milking the SS program for all its worth right now and then transitioning into a very basic TM model and eventually into some sort of split routine that is still focused on just the basic lifts and a handful of asst movements.

I think there are better ways to train for someone in your position. I would be milking the SS program for all its worth right now and then transitioning into a very basic TM model and eventually into some sort of split routine that is still focused on just the basic lifts and a handful of asst movements.
    I milked SS and the Adv. novice as much as I could and got my squat to 365, since then I haven't really had any real progress. I'm still just a bit curious about the information I was asking about the 20 rep squats, could you fill me in please?

I am going to piggyback on this thread.

Ive seen you mention the split program

of bench+asst, squat+asst, press+asst, dead+asst

What sort of progression scheme would you use for the main lifts on those days if youre only doing them once a week?

There are dozens if not hundreds of ways to set this up. Lots of options to choose from that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarena View Post
    I milked SS and the Adv. novice as much as I could and got my squat to 365, since then I haven't really had any real progress. I'm still just a bit curious about the information I was asking about the 20 rep squats, could you fill me in please?
    You are probably an intermediate. The 20 rep squat program is a program you can use for a short period of time to jolt some size onto your legs. It is probably best used right after a higher volume program based on sets of 5. You would be primed for a nice run. Just ask yourself why? Everything must have a purpose in a serious training program.

Andy, please write a book.

Also, OP, I found this thread useful: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=35076

starting strength coach development program
    You are probably an intermediate. The 20 rep squat program is a program you can use for a short period of time to jolt some size onto your legs. It is probably best used right after a higher volume program based on sets of 5. You would be primed for a nice run. Just ask yourself why? Everything must have a purpose in a serious training program.
    I agree that everything must have a purpose in a serious training program. Thanks a lot Andy.
    What exercises do you recommend me to do to fix my smaller/problem areas on that type of split and what kind of set/rep scheme should I use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast