starting strength gym

Thread: Programming w/ Nutrition. Ready for Intermediate?

Default Programming w/ Nutrition. Ready for Intermediate?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This conversation started with a question asked to Jordan in the Nutrition forum here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...971#post591971

You'll find my stats in the first post of the above thread. I don't have any real specific goals other than:

- get as strong as humanly possible
    - I signed up for goals of 200/100/300 in the goals for 2013 thread. This was arbitrary & just to give me something to shoot for this year. I like quantitative goals.
    - I would like to do the occasional running, in the future. I have enjoyed traveling around the country to run half-marathons, 10K's, and obstacle based 5K's with my friends. Plus the medals are cool. I don't plan on doing one per month, as I have done the last two years, but when the mood strikes, I'd like to do an occasional one & I would like to do this without injury. I've spent all of 2012 with running injuries.
    - Things I have never been able to do, but would like to: waterski, do a pull-up/chin-up, do a proper push-up. The last two are just for my own personal satisfaction.
    - an old friend from high school is competing in PL competitions & has suggested I do the same, due to the lack of females that compete. I haven't decided if I want to or not, but am intrigued by the idea. I am going to watch him compete in Feb. to see how interested I would be in the future.
    - aesthetically, I'd like to eventually look like a badass (don't we all). Basically, I would like to look like someone who works out as much as they do. I'm not opposed to being bulky & thick, but would like to be muscly thick as opposed to the fat thick I currently am.

My question to you is: do you think I am ready for intermediate programming as Jordan has suggested and/or should I? I don't feel like I have developed a good strength base just yet. For instance, I'm not to a bodyweight squat yet, and am having the damndest time just getting to a 135# squat.

Do you think I should add in conditioning work yet, either with the novice LP program or with an intermediate program? Or should I continue to hold off on the conditioning while I am still in the newbie phase? Any recommendations for conditioning work, other than what Jordan suggested? I don't have access to a prowler or a sled. I'm sure there is a rowing machine, though I've never looked for one. I work out at my local Y.

Sorry if this is too lengthy. Thanks for your advice!

PS- I also sent you a message via your website regarding form help/programming help.

I didn't read all of the thread on Jordans forum (time limits here) but essentially I agree with what he wrote.

Someone should sticky what I am about to write:

If you are not willing/able to eat your way through your sticking points on linear progression, you are going to have to change your programming to a weekly progression.

I am not suggesting there is necessarily anything wrong with this approach depending on the trainee. NOT everyone needs to do GOMAD + 5000Kcal.

Jordan was suggesting that my LP was nearing an end because I have been micro loading for several weeks. Are you saying that if I just eat more, I can continue the LP? Because I am actually ok with that. I want to get the most out of LP as possible.

Maybe. Up to a point, a big surge in calories might enhance your recuperative abilities and get a few more weeks out of your LP. But Jordan is right, you can only microload for so long on sets of 5 before things just go stale and progress comes to a halt. At that point, I am in favor of intermediate level programming as opposed to continuous resets on the same program.

Thank you so much for the clarification & for your time!

I am assuming you should continue to microload once you reach intermediate status?

starting strength coach development program
    Probably yes, for a female, on her upperbody lifts.