starting strength gym

Thread: Re-Starting Strength

Default Re-Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey all, I'm restarting my lifting after a two month break. I haven't done more than 6 weeks at a time, but I'm hoping to change that.

I am male. 37, 6'3", 410 lbs, and pretty out of shape.

I freaked out over some form issues in November and stopped doing Starting Strength. My last Lifts were as follows: (in lbs.)

• Squat - 140*
    • Press - 60
    • Bench - 80
    • Deadlift - 195
    • Power Clean - 45**

* - I have an issue with bar placement and stance, I'm pretty confident I figured i out.
    ** - I really made a terrible attempt at these before giving up.

Equipment is limited, as I have a cobbled together homemade gym, but I have enough plates and squat stands and a bench.

I'm planning on re-starting on Thursday, but I was wondering if I should start over completely, or if I should just cut back to 75-80%, and drop out the power cleans until my DL is above 200.

I only work out Sundays and Thursdays.

For your first session I suggest doing your warm ups and figuring out your workset weights from there. Go as heavy as you can with perfect form and not grinding reps. Leave a good amount in the tank for easy progression over the next few sessions.

The problem is that you really have to restrain yourself the first couple of times back or you'll get crippling soreness if you go as heavy as you can. It's no fun.