starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming partial bench presses

Default Programming partial bench presses

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark

My bench press has hovered around 300lb for a long time, but the bar always slows at around the point of the transfer from chest/shoulders to triceps, so I want to do partial bench presses to increase my lockout strength.

Should I do one heavy set instead of or in addition to full bench presses? If the latter, would directly after bench pressing be the best time?

I can't find the answer to this in SSBBT3 or on the board. I'm sorry if I've missed it.

Thanks,

Will.

I'll add one heavy set of 3 after my top bench set. And I'll eat more. That'll work.

I'm confused. Are you asking me something?

I was in the first post: for partial bench presses to improve my bench lockout, should I do one heavy set instead of or in addition to full bench presses? If the latter, would directly after bench pressing be the best time?

But nobody answered after I few days, so I decided to add one heavy set of 3 after my top bench set.

My apologies for being a little behind. Often times, if the gym gets busy, I can't get to the board more than about once per week.

I think you probably chose the best course of action.

Thanks.

Having realised that the weight I'd use for bench lockouts is far more than what I'm having trouble locking out in the full-range bench, I'm not sure I should bother doing them. I can already lockout far more than 300lb. I don't get stuck because of my lockout. I get stuck because I'm weak off the bottom, so I don't generate sufficient velocity to move the weight past the sticking point.

Do you agree?

I don't know. I'd have to watch you bench to figure it out.

Maybe this isn't my place to answer, but I just had to since your predicament seems eerily similiar to mine a lotta years ago. Stuck at around 300lbs, weak off the bottom but monster lockout strength.

Then I started lifting with a partner that was a benching machine. It is what he loved, loves and still loves to this day. It took him a few years but he finally got me to start adding in some volume. Kicking and screaming, I finally gave in, albeit a little at a time. Each time I added volume, my bench went up, my sticking point also starting moving upward instead of just a couple inches off my chest. We experimented with volume, lots of volume and crazy 'should have injured us' volume. I can say this for sure, the volume not only made much substantially stronger in the bench and all pressing movements, but even in my mid 50's, I am stronger now than I was even a year ago. Because of volume.

I have had similar experiences with high volume bench programs. Not everyone does though.

starting strength coach development program
    How do you program the extra volume, back off sets after the work sets? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast