starting strength gym

Thread: exercise order question

Default exercise order question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Shifting to a 4-day program we've seen recommended here before for guys at about my age (50) and intermediate level, as follows:

Mon
    Squat 5X5, Power Clean 5X3

Tues
    Bench 5X5, Press 5X1/5X2/3X3, Chins 2X failure

Thurs
    Squat 5X1/5X2/3X3, Deadlift 1X5

Fri
    Press 5X5, Bench 5X1/5X2/3X3, Chins 2X failure

I also have martial arts classes on Mon and Wed evenings, and may put in a session or two of high intensity intervals somewhere in the week.

My question is really about the Tues and Fri workout order. Since whatever comes second that day will be affected by what came first ... should I be looking to be fresher for the 5X5 movement (and do it first), or for the intensity movement (and do it first)?

I suspect the answer is to priorize the volume movement ... but I dunno.

t.

Prioritize the intensity movement.

I also think you have too much volume for a guy that is 50. I wouldn't be doing more than 3 sets across on these exercises for your volume work, and then maybe just a single top set for your intensity days. Not saying you HAVE to switch now, but if you start stalling out, that is the first adjustment I would make.

Thanks! Glad I asked, since I was about to do the opposite.

I'll think about 3X5 rather than 5X5. I did a version of 5-3-1 last month while cutting some bodyfat, but wanted to ramp up progress a bit faster now that I'm eating well again - and wanted to shift back to something where I was doing each lift more than once/week. If the 5X5 proves to be too much, I'll dial it back.