starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book on the way

Default Book on the way

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am looking forward to receiving my copy of Starting Strength vol. 3
    My current program is the 4 day a week Westside program.
    I am 50 years young, 5' 10" @ 192 lbs. My current maxes are
    365 Squat, 255 Bench, 485 Deadlift. Can someone fill me in on
    the Program to hold me over until the book arrives?
    Thanks

I think it was a waste of money; for you.

Its a good book and I am sure you will enjoy reading it and may even pickup a small hint here or there. But remember it is aimed at beginners, who do not even know how to do the barbell lifts yet. In addition, it doesnt really contain much in the way of a programme. Just the dead simple barebones of SS, doing 3x5 on your squats, bench and press, and 1x5 on you DL and progressing a little each time. While this is gold for people early on in their advancement, it is probably totally redundant for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
    I think it was a waste of money; for you.
    Why is that? I figured it would be a worthy addition to my strength library.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Its a good book and I am sure you will enjoy reading it and may even pickup a small hint here or there. But remember it is aimed at beginners, who do not even know how to do the barbell lifts yet. In addition, it doesnt really contain much in the way of a programme. Just the dead simple barebones of SS, doing 3x5 on your squats, bench and press, and 1x5 on you DL and progressing a little each time. While this is gold for people early on in their advancement, it is probably totally redundant for you.
    Well that sucks, but I am sure there is something I can learn from the book.
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 04-11-2012 at 08:04 PM.

There is a lot of useful information in the book besides the 2 pages devoted to programming. That said, it is a novice program and you may not be a novice. You never know though, I had the same squat 1RM when I started the novice program and I made gains as a novice.

I would recommend Practical Programming as a perhaps more useful addition to your library.

Quote Originally Posted by raw32 View Post
    There is a lot of useful information in the book besides the 2 pages devoted to programming. That said, it is a novice program and you may not be a novice. You never know though, I had the same squat 1RM when I started the novice program and I made gains as a novice.

I would recommend Practical Programming as a perhaps more useful addition to your library.
    Thanks, I will probably have to buy that one also. Knowledge is Power !!

Quote Originally Posted by G. Renzinator View Post
    Thanks, I will probably have to buy that one also. Knowledge is Power !!
    I'd still be sure to read through Starting Strength at least once. You can't find a more detailed explanation of the lifts anywhere else, so I'm sure you can at least pick up a tip or two to help you out.

G,
    You will enjoy and learn from Starting Strength. Study of the book will improve your lifts and help you better assist those you lift with. Detailed descriptions, well defined standards of a correct lift, discussion of the mechanics involved, and the coaching tips are just a few things you will benefit from.

Please let us know what you think of it

starting strength coach development program
    I'm sure I will like it, I've never considered any training book purchase a waste of money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast