starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about seasonal training for new lifters.

Default A question about seasonal training for new lifters.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    When training for seasonal sports (like golf), we lift heavy in autumn/winter and then change the program up in the spring time. (feel free to disagree)

Q What sort of reduced work weight would people suggest to not lose too much of the winter gains, but not interfere with recovery from games and more specific training?

This is me so far

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=22504

Cheers
    Last edited by nonsequitur73; 03-13-2011 at 11:22 AM.

If playing golf is interfering with your recovery, then you have bigger problems to worry about.

That should effectively kill The thread, without addressing The question, so not helpful.
    Maybey I could have rephrased The question to make it clearer.

Despite what you'd think four rounds a week in season plus specific training is taxing enough to interfere with recovery for The type of heavy lifting that happens here. But you probably know that already.

Thanks anyway.

Search function will find lots of threads about how to deal with strength training for athletes in season. But the short answer is that if the sport is so taxing that you can't recover from the program, you'll have to cut back. One idea that's seemed to work well for football players is to lift 3 days a week, and only do one lift each day, say squat, bench, deadlift for example, and try to at least maintain strength if not get stronger.

Thankyou

I'll give it some thought, and better use The search function as well.

ARE U SERIOUS. be a man and lift during a bitch sport like golf. I would understand if you were talking about something like wrestling.

I lifted during rugby season and while playing judo.

"plus specific training"
    THis may be the issue. Can you go into what specific training you do for golf?

Quote Originally Posted by APT View Post
    ARE U SERIOUS. be a man and lift during a bitch sport like golf. I would understand if you were talking about something like wrestling.
    This. Golf is not a sport, unless you're swinging a 20lb sledge instead of a club.

Ahh, typical testosterone-filled SS forum "I'm a badass" garbage. I've played football in the Texas sun, played 8 straight judo matches, and 3 rugby matches in four hours...and none of that drains me like four rounds of tournament play, walk-the-course golf.

Nonsequiter, feel free to shoot me an email. You're unlikely to get a reasonable or knowledge response about golf or seasonal training here. I need to know more about your recovery practices, supplementation, course time, and range time.
    Last edited by Gant Grimes; 03-17-2011 at 09:37 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Gant you got us down to a T (i wont be here all week but please answer my question sir!)

Suppose you work hard and get a 2BW squat in the OFFSeason, and this is great for your sport (basketball), but you want to maintain it now during the season, and dont want to detrain, but you can't now train in the same way that made you acquire it in the first place. What guidelines do you give for this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast