starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for conditioning?

Default What do you do for conditioning?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was wondering what do you all do to increase your conditioning and overall level of fitness, besides weight training? I don't want to say "cardio" because that term has developed some negative connotations in recent years. Nevertheless, what do you do to maintain or even improve upon your fitness levels?

I do the elliptical ever now and then, but do so at a much higher pace than those around me in order to get an overall improvement in my fitness. I find that this training does get the blood flowing and I lose that bloated feeling that I can get when I don't go through conditioning training.

Many Thanks

Hill sprints on a brutally steep hill near my house. I haven't done this in a while, but I'll be going there tonight in support of the girlfriend.

-edit, sorry, didn't realize this was in the Elderly section. I just saw it on "new posts". This may not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    -edit, sorry, didn't realize this was in the Elderly section. I just saw it on "new posts". This may not apply.
    Dont' worry,

we didn't think even for a second that you were being a young, patronising git. No sir, not at all. I hope the stench of our incontinence nappies didn't disturb you too much. Or does it come from the dentures ? God knows, it's hard to tell the difference.

Now that we've got the whippersnapper out of the way, back to the original question: I used to run every now and then. Short stuff, done at good pace. Something like 200m, repeated a few times, trying to keep a good stride.
    I'm now trying to add something different, using the rower in the gym. I've started with a Tabata scheme (20 secs rowing hard, 10 secs rest, repeat 8 times), and hopefully I'll be able to add to it.
    And keep running, as well.

IPB

PS for MM
    In case you had a SOH bypass, I'm jesting. There, have a smiley :-)

Got a sled?

Jeez, you geezers are grumpy.

Shut the fuck up and get off my lawn!

Yes, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Hill sprints on a brutally steep hill near my house. I haven't done this in a while, but I'll be going there tonight in support of the girlfriend.

* shakes head in disappointment *

Christ I'm getting a lot of flack... Not that I don't think your nursing home wheelchairs can make it up a hill or anything, I just have no idea what the recovery ramifications are for something as brutal as hill sprints during SS for "older-than-me" athletes. I also have no idea the age of the original poster or if he has a wooden knee from before the industrial revolution.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm in my early 40s and a recovering skinny endurance athlete.

I do kettlebell swings in a Tabata style format for conditioning and a bit of road biking with the triathlete wife.

I have to be careful with overtraining now. More than 2 conditioning workouts a week along with my barbell training and the knees swell and I feel like crap.

I try to keep it at 2 conditioning workouts a week with 4 days of barbells (following 5/3/1 format).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast