starting strength gym

Thread: Chalk

Default Chalk

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I know that the use of chalk is highly recommended, and that one should switch gyms if they don't allow chalk. But what should I do if I workout at home and I don't want chalk all over my bedroom? What is the best alternative? Now that I'm squatting around 200lbs my hands start to slip without chalk with the overhand grip and as a result I need to shift the position of my hands which stresses my radius and elbow. What is my best option next to using chalk or going to a gym?

Use a chalk ball.
    Or some of the liquid 'no-slip' stuff.
    Don't squat in your bedroom?

The answer is to use chalk and not get it everywhere. Chalk stays in a bucket, put a little on your hands, brush off hands over bucket so it doesn't get everywhere, lift, wash your hands when you're done without touching anything.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    The answer is to use chalk and not get it everywhere. Chalk stays in a bucket, put a little on your hands, brush off hands over bucket so it doesn't get everywhere, lift, wash your hands when you're done without touching anything.
    This. If any gets on the floor, use a vacuum cleaner. This is not a setback for you. Squat, deadlift, use chalk

Shops selling climbing gear usually have liquid or spray-on chalk substitutes. Or work on your grip strength.

Always work on your grip strength. Also, get a little Rosin bag from dicks sporting goods or wherever. Works fine in a pinch, no real mess, and will float you until you find a chalk friendly facility. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelius28 View Post
    Now that I'm squatting around 200lbs my hands start to slip without chalk with the overhand grip and as a result I need to shift the position of my hands which stresses my radius and elbow. What is my best option next to using chalk or going to a gym?
    Are we talking about squatting or deadlifting?

starting strength coach development program
    I have a chalk bag and I've used a chalk block. I find the block actually makes less mess than the bag. The bag "poofs" chalk out as you work it around, but the bar only puts chalk where you rub it (not talking about crushing it and grinding it all over your hands).