starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High bar squats if low bar fucking with elbows?

manisstrong Guest

Default High bar squats if low bar fucking with elbows?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Should I just switch to high-bar to stop low-bar from fucking with my elbows? Any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks

Do what you want.

If you like low bar, figure out ways you can low bar and manage or minimize the pain.
    If you hate low bar, then move on to high bar or whatever other squats you like.

I like low bar and like many have experienced the elbow pain in the past. I just let it heal and squatted with a safety squat bar while it did its healing thing. Then when the elbow was ready, I went back to low bar taking special attention to my grip, grip width, and training frequency. I found the magic spot that works for me and stuck with it...and I haven't had elbow pain so bad that I couldn't squat or press, or bench press or deadlift since.

manisstrong Guest

I like low bar. But I don't how to stop the pain.

I don't have access to a safety squat bar...

shoulder dislocation exercises

go on youtube

How strong are your biceps/how many chins can you do?

manisstrong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    How strong are your biceps/how many chins can you do?
    None. lol. Squat 87.5kg, bodyweight like 86kg, but no chinups But I'm gonna get a chinup bar at home and start "greasing the groove" in a couple of weeks.

But seriously, after squats I can not bench. and today my elbows feel fucked all day.
    Last edited by manisstrong; 10-09-2010 at 05:45 AM.

Post a video showing your var/elbow position clearly.

I agree with Kong, that you should do any form of squatting that works for you. But the pain could be down to a simple technique error, or a flexibility problem that will quickly improve.

manisstrong Guest

Looking at your squat video, you could actually raise your bar position almost an inch on your back and still be doing a low-bar squat. You might find that helps the elbows. Also take a deep breath and really try to keep your 'chest up.' Knees are sliding forward a bit at the bottom-- try to concentrate on completing all of your knee-travel on the first half of your descent. It can be helpful to think of breaking at the knees before the hips. 'shove your knees out and sit back.'

manisstrong Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodninja666 View Post
    Looking at your squat video, you could actually raise your bar position almost an inch on your back and still be doing a low-bar squat. You might find that helps the elbows. Also take a deep breath and really try to keep your 'chest up.' Knees are sliding forward a bit at the bottom-- try to concentrate on completing all of your knee-travel on the first half of your descent. It can be helpful to think of breaking at the knees before the hips. 'shove your knees out and sit back.'
    That's funny, someone else told me that my bar position isn't even strictly low bar and is more in between high bar and low bar... I put the bar where I think it feels comfortable, but I guess I'll try it a bit higher...

I was also told that I am breaking at the knees first, but that I should be breaking at the hips first?

Anyway, there's nothing seriously wrong with that squat that should be aggravating my elbows is there?
    Last edited by manisstrong; 10-09-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast