starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workout routine for wife

Default Workout routine for wife

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm trying to get a good routine for my wife. She's tried SS with me for a couple of weeks, but it doesn't really click with her. She has been having pain in one of her shoulders recently, so squats have been painful. She doesn't mind bench, overhead presses or deadlifts. Time is a huge issue since she works nearly 60 hours a week, so I think 30-45 minutes is her max time available 2-3 times per week. She is naturally very athletic, 5'2" about 105lbs. Used to bench 120 when she played college soccer. I'm thinking a slightly modified routine for her with leg press, bench, rows (I don't think she could do PCs right now), press and deads. Any suggestions?

what exactly is the nature of her shoulder pain? Does altering/widening the grip change it at all?

Try high bar squats? How does her shoulder hurt anyway?

Try something like Squats 3x5/5x5 and deadlifts one day then maybe bench alternated with press for the same the next then maybe PC's/chins? So, Monday would be squats/deads, Wednesday bench or press, maybe row as well, Friday PC and chin. Though, given time is the major constraint, it all depends on how long this takes.

How much flexibility does she have time wise? Can she possibly work in SS two times a week? It does work done that way.

I think it's in the socket. I switched her to more of a high bar squat with a slightly wider grip at the end of her routine yesterday, but I think she had lost interest. She said it did feel a little better.

Remind her squats will up her deadlift and/or give her a better/bigger ass.

work on position, but perhaps have her front squat monday and friday and back squat wednesday. that way she is still squatting every workout, and will have some back squatting during the week, but she won't be dreading every workout because 2/3 involve no shoulder pain whatsoever (and 3/3 when the form issue gets resolved)

I tried front squat with her as well last night. Didn't like it. I may try her with a lighter weight bar.

I've broken her routine up to be similar to what OCG suggested. I'll see about adding more squats or at least different versions of squats in the future. I think she's pretty much limited to about 30 minutes or so. Some is mental. I'm working hard on her spending more time for herself instead of work. So she may start making more time for herself.
    For now, Monday- (high bar)Squat and press, Wednesday-Bench and Row, Friday Dead and chins
    We'll see how this routine works. Like I said, I'll slowly fill in the gaps when she gets back into it mentally.

The routine is basically an intermediate powerlifting thing, where you have a day for each lift. Something similar is in PP as "The split routine model". Squats, press, bench and row I'd try with 3x5 and if it's not enough volume and doesn't work try 5x5. Deadlifts should be 1x5. Chins should be weighted if she can do enough, 3x5 seems to work well.

Note that I'm talking ideals here, if she doesn't have the time or will, well, the flawed routine she does is better then the perfect one she doesn't.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been doing 3x5 with her. I'll look up the split routine in PP. I don't think I've read that part yet. Deads, I may have her do a few more than just one set since the weight is pretty light and it's the only big lifting exercise she'll be doing on that day. I'll pull it back when I add squats on that day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast