starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check please

Default Squat check please

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello, I'd like to know if I'm fucking something up, because my lower back is hurting every day for the past month when I get up and I don't dare to increase the weight. Funny that after doing the workout the pain is usually gone. Thank you.

Weight: 110kg

You are looking up, kind of leading with your chest and overextending your back a little. I also suspect your stance is too wide and your toes are pointed too straight ahead. Chin down, drive your butt up. I would like to see you lifting in proper shoes, too.

My stance might be a bit wide, but my toes are out almost 45 degrees. I'll try to look down.

I was at the doctors today and he said that my lower part of spine is out of alignment and that it presses on my disc, that's why the pain. Have to resolve it first. He also said that I'm lucky that I have been doing this workout, because my muscles are strong and symmetrical, otherwise I'd be fucked.

Any opinion on how long this problem will take to resolve, I suppose I can't load my spine too much at the moment? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbass View Post
    I'll try to look down.
    Yoda has a saying about "trying."

I was at the doctors today and he said that my lower part of spine is out of alignment and that it presses on my disc, that's why the pain. Have to resolve it first.
    Was your doctor by chance a chiropractor? All of your vertebrae "press" on the intervertebral discs. That is how the spine works. Do you have a spondylolisthesis that was diagnosed via x-ray? If so, what grade is it?

He also said that I'm lucky that I have been doing this workout, because my muscles are strong and symmetrical, otherwise I'd be fucked.
    Interesting. Having a strong back allows you to do things with your back.

Any opinion on how long this problem will take to resolve, I suppose I can't load my spine too much at the moment? Thanks.
    If only there were a way to make your back stronger... I am drawing a blank here.

I cannot feel what you feel in your back, nor am I there coaching you. I can tell you that properly performed squats and deadlifts do good things for people's backs. I would suggest that you train as best you can.