starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to progress on weighted chinups?

Default How to progress on weighted chinups?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    How do you progress on weighted chin ups?

I figured there could be three ways to do it:
    1) AMRAP, work until certain number of reps is achieved in first set (10? 15?), then increase the weight.
    2) AMRAP, work until certain number of reps is achieved in last set (5? 10?), then increase weight.
    3) Normal 3x5 with linear progression.

I'm not asking what is the correct way to do it as it will be individually, but what do you guys do?

I always could do about 12-13 reps. From there I did an LP until it didn't work anymore and then switched to a Volume day /Intensity day template.

Quote Originally Posted by Banned_Pavel View Post

I figured there could be three ways to do it:
    1) AMRAP, work until certain number of reps is achieved in first set (10? 15?), then increase the weight.
    2) AMRAP, work until certain number of reps is achieved in last set (5? 10?), then increase weight.
    3) Normal 3x5 with linear progression.

I'm not asking what is the correct way to do it as it will be individually, but what do you guys do?
    Personally, I mix it up as much as possible to avoid boredom. Density blocks, pyramids, reverse pyramids, AMRAP, drop sets, sets across, or testing my 1RM, depending on how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Personally, I mix it up as much as possible to avoid boredom. Density blocks, pyramids, reverse pyramids, AMRAP, drop sets, sets across, or testing my 1RM, depending on how I feel.
    Never thought about that. Thanks!

Got my bw chins up to 10, then started with I believe +10 lbs for 3x5. 1.25 lb jumps as long as I could, then 1/2 and 3/4 lb jumps for as long as I could, then 1x5 with 2x5 ~10% backoff. At some point I stopped doing this twice weekly and switched to once weekly with the other chin day being higher volume bw chins. That's still working for me at the moment and I'm way past my previous weighted set of 5 PR.

So here is what I want to try first:

I will start doing them 3x5 with +10 lbs. I will be adding 2.5 lbs every time I hit 3x5. When/if there will be a point when I will not be able to do 5 on the first set, I will move to 3x4, and continue to add 2.5 lbs every time I hit 3x4. And so on up to (or down to) 3x2. Then I will think of something else. May be go backwards (dropping the weight and increasing reps) up to 3x5 again.

I program mine differently from the lifts and I don't know why other than it's inconvenient to micro load chins. I started with 3 sets with 25#, when I got to 3x5 I moved to 3 sets with 35# until I could do 3x5, now trying to get 3x5 with 45#. And I do unweighted chins on Monday and weighted on Wednesday.

Are you using periodic 1RMs to make sure you're progressing? Without a fair amount of discipline, mixing it up to avoid boredom can easily become exercise (pick a wod, any wod) rather than training.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Are you using periodic 1RMs to make sure you're progressing? Without a fair amount of discipline, mixing it up to avoid boredom can easily become exercise (pick a wod, any wod) rather than training.
    Not to downplay the importance of chin-ups, but let's remember that we're talking about chin-ups. Right now, they are not the main place I choose to focus my scarce training resources, after carefully weighing the pertinent factors that apply to me at this point in my training career. Not advocating my approach for the masses, but the fact of the matter is exercising them is the right approach for my circumstances. I'm pretty decent at them already, I prefer getting them done to not getting them done, and the 1RM does tend to go up over time, slowly, as I manage to make my main lifts go up, which is where I choose to focus the majority of my time, energy, and recovery capacity.

starting strength coach development program
    Not to downplay the importance of chin-ups, but let's remember that we're talking about chin-ups. Right now, they are not the main place I choose to focus my scarce training resources, after carefully weighing the pertinent factors that apply to me at this point in my training career. Not advocating my approach for the masses, but the fact of the matter is exercising them is the right approach for my circumstances. I'm pretty decent at them already, I prefer getting them done to not getting them done, and the 1RM does tend to go up over time, slowly, as I manage to make my main lifts go up, which is where I choose to focus the majority of my time, energy, and recovery capacity.
    Just because you can do +100 for reps you think you can call yourself "decent"???

Sounds like it's working well for you. I was just suggesting that the undisciplined masses (I've been reading Rip too much) would not likely make the same sort of progress without some more structure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast