starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shins torn up from deadlifting

Default Shins torn up from deadlifting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Looking for suggestions on how to protect shins when deadlifting.

I have scabs that keep getting reopened and bleed when I deadlift.

I tried some skin tight new balance running pants but the material is too thin..

Cut some shin guards out of a 1 liter 7UP bottle, or any other smooth-sided plastic soft drink bottle, and put them in your socks before you deadlift or pull. Fixes it every time.

Great (and cheap) idea! I'll try it out.

I was under the impression that if you begin the pull off the floor by opening the hip angle first (as opposed to opening the knee angle first), this will pull the bar into the shins. I think there was a quote in the deadlift chapter saying "the blood on the bar will tell you this is wrong".

Wouldn't fixing this form cue prevent the bar from dragging on his shins, or is it acceptable with abnormal segment lengths? Or is it that dragging the bar is better than the alternative of not keeping it close to the shins at all in the first place?

While it is quite true that correct form minimizes shin damage, some people are unable to keep the shins from getting scraped, even with good form and especially after they are already bloody, scabbed, and sore. Cheap shin guards keep blood off of the bar, and if you are in a commercial gym, this is more important than even getting the form correct.

Bloody bars give a gym character. So does a bunch of meatheads walking around with 7UP bottles strapped to their shins.

Follow up question: I have soccer shin guards from my days as a soccer player. Think they'll be too thick for these purposes?

Soccer guards are too thick. And they are soccer guards. I'd rather wear the salvage models.

Hey, I like the 7up idea. It's very Warhol.

That said, I don't believe in socks or shoes, so my solution is somewhat new age and sensitive, however, the scabs are healing, and it seems to be working.

I put myself in low gear, like a quad cab F350 turbo diesel stuck in a snowbank, and gradually pull, feeling for the bar to brush against the hairs on my shin, then I make slight corrections. It requires a deft touch.

It won't work if you shave your legs, but if you are, I suspect bloody shins are the least of your problems.

Best,
    Flux

(ps All bets off for max attempts, tho'. If you're not dripping blood afterwards ... I mean, what's the point?)

starting strength coach development program
    Speaking from experience, please be careful about open wounds and scabs and blood around the barbells of the gym. You do NOT want to get a MRSA infection, trust me. Be careful and WASH THAT SH*T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast