starting strength gym

Thread: Thin, very flexible kids

Default Thin, very flexible kids

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

I'm a 20 year old male (161lbs, 5'9") and I believe I'm a thin, very flexible kid as described on page 54 of SS (but intriguingly not in SSBBT) because I can go deep into the hole. In fact, in the step of learning the squat where it says "squat down, all the way", I naturally went into a position like:

This could be I am sitting down for 10+ hours per day (it has been mentioned before on this forum, how sitting down for long periods of time could cause this tight hamstrings) and that I cycle when I need to commute (thus encouraging quad rather than hamstring powered movement).

What is the cure for this? I suspect it's a combination of: get off the damn chair so much, stretch more, eat more? (I'm not sure how the thin part effects things)

Are there any methods for developing the ability to produce hamstring tightness during the squat ("that comes natually to most other lifters"), similar to the method described in the book for how to keep a flat lower back?

Given this is a web forum, I suspect many people here suffer from the hamstring problem. (Is this the cause of the large amount of butt winking here?)

Regards
    Tom

PS. I'm looking forward to attending your event in UK, assuming it's happening

Also, I cannot get a video of me squatting. The gym I attend is closing down and I'm only going to be in my current location for 3 weeks, so subscribing to the ?50 (=$94) /month gym which has no lifting platform, despite having rubber plates, seems like a waste.

It is difficult to have both too much flexibility and tight hamstrings.

And the rubber plates in that gym are not bumper plates.