starting strength gym

Thread: Blood Pressure Concerns & Resting Pulse Rate

Thumbs up Blood Pressure Concerns & Resting Pulse Rate

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Mark I was wondering whenever I take my blood pressure this type goes on my wrist and gives a reading of blood pressure and pulse rate. The past 6 months my blood pressure has been 125/80 to sometimes to 118/80 which for my age is good but my resting pulse rate I'm not so sure. It seems to stay at around the middle to upper 60's with periods of being in the middle 50's which seems to me to be high but hell I feel I am fit and push mow my yard and powerlift I am 6-2 230.

Should we lifters be concerned with our blood pressures and pulse rates and what is a good resting pulse rate.... is mine high?

Thanks for the time.

Powerflifter48

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a resting RH of 55-65 or these blood pressures, although you'd like the diastolic (bottom number) a little lower. Resting heart rate is taken after 5 minutes of seated inactivity, and will be higher than your HR when you wake up in the morning. RHR of 55 is very good for a masters athlete that is not a distance runner, and you don't want to be a distance runner.

Thumbs up

Thanks Mark.

What do I need to do to get my lower diastolic number down? Foods I should eat that might help or supplements maybe or just more cardio?

Definitely agree about the long distance runner comment not my type of sport.

Powerflifter48

To the OP: your pulse is normal to slightly slow (which is fine). If someone told you those numbers are tachycardic, they lied.

I don't think I'd worry about it. I sure don't think you need more LSD (cardio done the conventional wisdom way). If you really want to train your conditioning more, look at the CrossFit website and do some of their metcon workouts. You can't do better than that for your conditioning.

Thumbs up

Thanks Mark, I feel reassured now and that's good news.

Powerflifter48

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think I'd worry about it. I sure don't think you need more LSD (cardio done the conventional wisdom way). If you really want to train your conditioning more, look at the CrossFit website and do some of their metcon workouts. You can't do better than that for your conditioning.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Brandon for the reply appreciate it.

Powerflifter48

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
    To the OP: your pulse is normal to slightly slow (which is fine). If someone told you those numbers are tachycardic, they lied.