starting strength gym

Thread: Thanks, Geezers

Default Thanks, Geezers

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I just want to thank the Geezers for their inspiration. I've followed these forums for I guess 5 or 6 years. Because I let other priorities get in the way I've started the SS novice progression 2, 3, maybe even 4 times. Last year I was more consistent through the spring and summer, getting my deadlift to about 375X5, squat 265X3 (inadvertently because I loaded the bar heavier than I thought), press 155X3. Wasn't doing bench at the time due to shoulder issues. But, it was kicking my ass so I reset and tried Texas Method programming until hunting seasons began. Then all weight training went out the window. I started back up about February with very light workouts to just get back in the groove in preparation to start a 531 program in April, hoping it wouldn't be so taxing to my system, and knowing progress would be much slower. So far it has been the ticket. Since April rep max's on my "531/95%" day have gone from: press 5X125 to 5X135, deadlift 10X260 to 13X285, squat 6X210 to 9X235. I also cautiously started benches again and have gone from 6X160 to 7X175. Not great numbers, and not 10 lbs. per week, but slow, steady progress. My bodyweight is up to 170 lbs. from 155 at 5'7", I'm 64 yrs. young and feel like 40 something. I can do 3 sets of 25 lb. weighted pullups where before I couldn't completed 3X10. I feel better and it is now fun. I haven't missed more than 3 training days since early April. The influence of you old guys has been a big part of what keeps me going. Thank you all.
    Last edited by Old LA; 07-16-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Welcome and thanks for the kind words from this 68 year old. My problem, if it is a problem, is that I think I should be competing against 28 year old guys. Now, I find a guy just four years younger who is lifting heavier things than I can. Seriously, it's fun just to be able to move heavy things around. Take that "mean old Mr. Gravity."

Great to see you're back with it, youngster! ;^) (I keed, I keed...)

Full blown geezers are always good to find in these parts.

Hey! If us geezers can't support and encourage each other, who else will?

Quote Originally Posted by Old LA View Post
    I just want to thank the Geezers for their inspiration. I've followed these forums for I guess 5 or 6 years. Because I let other priorities get in the way I've started the SS novice progression 2, 3, maybe even 4 times. Last year I was more consistent through the spring and summer, getting my deadlift to about 375X5, squat 265X3 (inadvertently because I loaded the bar heavier than I thought), press 155X3. Wasn't doing bench at the time due to shoulder issues. But, it was kicking my ass so I reset and tried Texas Method programming until hunting seasons began. Then all weight training went out the window. I started back up about February with very light workouts to just get back in the groove in preparation to start a 531 program in April, hoping it wouldn't be so taxing to my system, and knowing progress would be much slower. So far it has been the ticket. Since April rep max's on my "531/95%" day have gone from: press 5X125 to 5X135, deadlift 10X260 to 13X285, squat 6X210 to 9X235. I also cautiously started benches again and have gone from 6X160 to 7X175. Not great numbers, and not 10 lbs. per week, but slow, steady progress. My bodyweight is up to 170 lbs. from 155 at 5'7", I'm 64 yrs. young and feel like 40 something. I can do 3 sets of 25 lb. weighted pullups where before I couldn't completed 3X10. I feel better and it is now fun. I haven't missed more than 3 training days since early April. The influence of you old guys has been a big part of what keeps me going. Thank you all.
    Hey Old LA, You have a few years on me. Your numbers are terrific (I won't say for your age, I hate that shit). I'm 5 years behind you. We have similar builds, I'm 5'6 160lbs. we move the similar weight.

Will follow your log with interest. Glad your here

Thanks and concurrence. My short term/intermediate goals are a 400 lb. deadlift, 300 lb. squat, 165 lb. press and 225 lb. bench. That would put me roughly in the "international elite" class for powerlifting for my weight and age, minus the press of course.Why? Just because. I'd also like to be able to do 5 75 lb. weighted pull-ups and 10 25 lb. weighted dips. Again, just because. Longer term, A 425 lb. deadlift, 325 to 350 lb. squat and 170 lb. press. Don't really care at this point if my bench goes beyond 225. Trashing my repaired shoulders simply isn't worth it. Doable? Hell I don't know, but Ya got to have goals. All I know is I can pack quarters of elk off a bad ass mountain better than my boys and other much younger hunting buddies, then do it again the next day. Couldn't do that shit before weight training.

Quote Originally Posted by Old LA View Post
    Thanks and concurrence. My short term/intermediate goals are a 400 lb. deadlift, 300 lb. squat, 165 lb. press and 225 lb. bench. That would put me roughly in the "international elite" class for powerlifting for my weight and age, minus the press of course.Why? Just because. I'd also like to be able to do 5 75 lb. weighted pull-ups and 10 25 lb. weighted dips. Again, just because. Longer term, A 425 lb. deadlift, 325 to 350 lb. squat and 170 lb. press. Don't really care at this point if my bench goes beyond 225. Trashing my repaired shoulders simply isn't worth it. Doable? Hell I don't know, but Ya got to have goals. All I know is I can pack quarters of elk off a bad ass mountain better than my boys and other much younger hunting buddies, then do it again the next day. Couldn't do that shit before weight training.
    mine are similar.
    I'll be competing in 2 weeks, looking for:
    squat 340 - 350
    bench 260 - 265
    dl - 390 - 405
    would love to nail 1,000lbs.

I agree you must have goals. At least I know I need to.

starting strength coach development program
    Wellcome geezer, it seems that the older we get, the stronger we are and the younger we feel!
    Great prospect[emoji41]