starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatigue in arm when squatting

Default Fatigue in arm when squatting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey coach,

I'm 19 year old, 5'9 and ~140 lbs, boy (still very skinny). I've been on your program for 6 weeks now. I've been progressing, but lately I have run into a problem. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my arm. My left arm get unusually fatigued when squatting or generally using it actively. I feel I have no strenght in that arm when it occurs (can barely do a single dip). In addition, I have a slight pain (which have increased the last weeks) radiating from my overarm (triceps area). It feels kinda like a cramp. I first noticed it 3 weeks ago, the same workout I had my first stall on the bench press. Since then, it has gotten worse and my pressing exercises have stalled. Also my grip strenght is reduced (which have affacted my deadlift). Pulling exercises don't seem to be affacted by this.

I personally think it has to do with bar on my back when squatting (as my arm gets this way everytime I squat). Maybe the bar is pinching something in my arm? But at the same time, using the arm a little too much, causes this too.I've tried changing grip and grip width when squatting, but it has proven unsuccesful. My arm feels perfectly fine most of the time. Also, the fatigue and pain goes away once I eat, generally.

What do you think it is and what do you should I do? I'm considering seeing a doctor, but I'm afraid the doctor won't find anything as my arm feels fine most of the time. Maybe I should do pressing exercises before squatting?

Thank you for your time.

You should gain some weight, to keep the bar from mashing your back and shoulders so effectively. Are you drinking your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Morten View Post
    Also, the fatigue and pain goes away once I eat, generally.
    There is a clue in that post... Somewhere.
    Am I right?

I suffered similar symptoms before I developed tendinitis in my arm. I believe it was caused by not positioning the bar correctly. I would watch and re-watch the bar position video.

Quote Originally Posted by Morten View Post
    Hey coach,

I'm 19 year old, 5'9 and ~140 lbs, boy (still very skinny). I've been on your program for 6 weeks now. I've been progressing, but lately I have run into a problem. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my arm. My left arm get unusually fatigued when squatting or generally using it actively. I feel I have no strenght in that arm when it occurs (can barely do a single dip). In addition, I have a slight pain (which have increased the last weeks) radiating from my overarm (triceps area). It feels kinda like a cramp. I first noticed it 3 weeks ago, the same workout I had my first stall on the bench press. Since then, it has gotten worse and my pressing exercises have stalled. Also my grip strenght is reduced (which have affacted my deadlift). Pulling exercises don't seem to be affacted by this.

I personally think it has to do with bar on my back when squatting (as my arm gets this way everytime I squat). Maybe the bar is pinching something in my arm? But at the same time, using the arm a little too much, causes this too.I've tried changing grip and grip width when squatting, but it has proven unsuccesful. My arm feels perfectly fine most of the time. Also, the fatigue and pain goes away once I eat, generally.

What do you think it is and what do you should I do? I'm considering seeing a doctor, but I'm afraid the doctor won't find anything as my arm feels fine most of the time. Maybe I should do pressing exercises before squatting?

Thank you for your time.
    Yep, this is one of the signs of a tendinitis. Watch the bar position video again, and check your grip - maybe its too close. Post a video of your squat from behind and from the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You should gain some weight, to keep the bar from mashing your back and shoulders so effectively. Are you drinking your milk?
    I am trying to drink as much as I can (generally 1/2 gallon a day), but I will will try to drink even more. I am away at boarding school and get milk to 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch and supper). I'm having a hard time drinking much early in the morning and usually drink most of it in the evening.

Thanks for the responses. Should I continue the program as it is and try to find a comfortable grip (I have watched the bar position video twice) or what?

have you watched this video? http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position

Try resetting your grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    have you watched this video? http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position

Try resetting your grip.
    I have. Several times. I have also tried different grips. Wider grip doesn't support the bar too well, and it makes it feel unsteady on my back. I did switch from thumbs under the bar to over the bar a while ago (after watching the bar position video), but maybe I should switch back if it helps my arm?

Sure. Try that.

starting strength coach development program
    Might not exactly apply here. Anyway - I was struggling in keeping wrists straight on thumbless grip - had tendency in going 'thumbful' version with severely bent wrists. What helped me in keeping the grip has have my hand sort of diagonally across the bar. Rather than have it deep in the grip if sort of rests against the thumb meat. At least at the weights I handle it seems plenty strong but less pressure in biceps and wrists.

see image - not sure if this makes sense. And if the advice is bad I am sure I will hear it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast