starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squats and headaches

Default Squats and headaches

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have a problem when I squat where I get headaches, well, its more like some shoving a burning knife into the back of my head, followed by several days of a more traditional headache. The first time it happened I was squatting 190 for reps and was scared enough to go to the doctor, who ordered an mri which ruled out anything serious in her eyes, so at least I know its not a brain bleed..gotta stay positive, right?
    Also, after it happens with squats any strenuous exercise causes it to come back (including taking a dump) but the squats are the only thing that's ever caused it.
    Basically my SOP has been to take a week off then start back really light on all of my lifts, but for the last 3 months I've been doing 531, which isn't really a program where I can do that.
    This time my headaches started 2 weeks ago on Monday, 531 day for squats, doing 205 for 5 I finished the rest of the week pushing through, then took my deload week, and got a headache today doing 190 for 9.

I really don't know what to do, everytime I feel like I'm getting somewhere I get one of these headaches. It completely ruins my progress on squats and sets back all of my other lifts significantly. I know it is not just putting my body through stress that's doing it, I went through army osut as a Cav scout, and that involved a lot more physical demands than squatting 200lbs..so I'm guessing its a technique issue. I've tried to work on it, and moved from lb to hb squats, nothing seems to fix it.

So basically my questions are
    1) has anyone ever experienced anything like this and if so how did they solve the problem?
    2) if I don't care about powerlifting and just want to be strong, is there a program that anyone would recommend that doesn't involve squats? (Maybe Deadlift/clean based)

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond

Quote Originally Posted by JoshM7
    I have a problem when I squat where I get headaches, well, its more like some shoving a burning knife into the back of my head, followed by several days of a more traditional headache. The first time it happened I was squatting 190 for reps and was scared enough to go to the doctor, who ordered an mri which ruled out anything serious in her eyes, so at least I know its not a brain bleed..gotta stay positive, right?
    Also, after it happens with squats any strenuous exercise causes it to come back (including taking a dump) but the squats are the only thing that's ever caused it.
    Basically my SOP has been to take a week off then start back really light on all of my lifts, but for the last 3 months I've been doing 531, which isn't really a program where I can do that.
    This time my headaches started 2 weeks ago on Monday, 531 day for squats, doing 205 for 5 I finished the rest of the week pushing through, then took my deload week, and got a headache today doing 190 for 9.
    I would post this on Rip's Q&A. I would also get a second, third, fourth, and as many opinions as it would take until I find a doctor willing to find out what's wrong. Chances are you will hit a few doctors with the approach "if it hurts, don't do it" or the plain misinformed ones that see strength training with suspicion and tell you to do cardio instead.

Bottom line; thousands upon thousands of people do this every day without having this sort of issue. It is you bro, there is something not right and it is up to you to keep on pushing until you get an answer.

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by devnull View Post
    I would post this on Rip's Q&A. I would also get a second, third, fourth, and as many opinions as it would take until I find a doctor willing to find out what's wrong. Chances are you will hit a few doctors with the approach "if it hurts, don't do it" or the plain misinformed ones that see strength training with suspicion and tell you to do cardio instead.

Bottom line; thousands upon thousands of people do this every day without having this sort of issue. It is you bro, there is something not right and it is up to you to keep on pushing until you get an answer.
    I'm thinking about not squatting until I get either an experienced power lifters or an ss coach to watch me squat, but I have no idea what program to do without squats.
    And I work in a level 1 trauma center and have asked multiple doctors, including one who is an avid body builder and someone who used to practice sports medicine, and everyone has said that if it doesn't show up on an mri, then there's no test to figure out what it is.

Edit: I asked rip the 2nd time and he put it in repetitive inquiries, though ive searched his site and the internet for it.
    Last edited by JoshM7; 10-29-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshM7 View Post

I really don't know what to do, everytime I feel like I'm getting somewhere I get one of these headaches. It completely ruins my progress on squats and sets back all of my other lifts significantly. I know it is not just putting my body through stress that's doing it, I went through army osut as a Cav scout, and that involved a lot more physical demands than squatting 200lbs..so I'm guessing its a technique issue. I've tried to work on it, and moved from lb to hb squats, nothing seems to fix it.

So basically my questions are
    1) has anyone ever experienced anything like this and if so how did they solve the problem?
    2) if I don't care about powerlifting and just want to be strong, is there a program that anyone would recommend that doesn't involve squats? (Maybe Deadlift/clean based)

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond
    I've had similar issues in the past. The culprit in my case was poor form/not working out terrible trigger points in my traps and neck. It got to the point where any elevation in heart rate would cause a headache until it subsided.

Constant work with lacrosse balls/various tools fixed the problem for me.

No idea if it's the same thing, but worth a shot.

For what it's worth, I don't tend to look down on my heavy sets, and I think this puts some strain on my neck when I'm pushing things. Not nearly as bad now as it was then, but it might be the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcpie View Post
    I've had similar issues in the past. The culprit in my case was poor form/not working out terrible trigger points in my traps and neck. It got to the point where any elevation in heart rate would cause a headache until it subsided.

Constant work with lacrosse balls/various tools fixed the problem for me.

No idea if it's the same thing, but worth a shot.

For what it's worth, I don't tend to look down on my heavy sets, and I think this puts some strain on my neck when I'm pushing things. Not nearly as bad now as it was then, but it might be the cause.
    So other than vigorous tissue work, nothing really helped?
    Does it still bother you, or have you stopped having "flare ups" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshM7 View Post
    So other than vigorous tissue work, nothing really helped?
    Does it still bother you, or have you stopped having "flare ups" or whatever.
    That and getting better with the movement itself. I think it was a combination of high bar (I thought it was low bar at the time), and attempted low bar mechanics.

I don't deal with the issue anymore, but I also make sure to foam roll/work on my problem areas, which includes my shoulders/traps. To be honest, these days I spend the most time on my hips and quads, because I find trigger points develop there quickly for me and cause me the most issue.

If my traps/neck do get very tight, it very quickly starts causing me mild headaches though. I've never let them get bad enough to replicate this issue again, nor am I certain it's your particular issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcpie View Post
    That and getting better with the movement itself. I think it was a combination of high bar (I thought it was low bar at the time), and attempted low bar mechanics.

I don't deal with the issue anymore, but I also make sure to foam roll/work on my problem areas, which includes my shoulders/traps. To be honest, these days I spend the most time on my hips and quads, because I find trigger points develop there quickly for me and cause me the most issue.

If my traps/neck do get very tight, it very quickly starts causing me mild headaches though. I've never let them get bad enough to replicate this issue again, nor am I certain it's your particular issue.
    Well either way I appreciate the info and at the price of a lacrosse ball I'd have to say its worth the investment to find out. I did my press/dead day today without getting a headache but stopped a rep short of what I normally would have.
    My shoulders and traps don't feel tight, but I guess it could just be that tight feels like normal, ill let you know what I find out

Does it only happen when you squat?

I had a real shitty headache just like this in high school. Still have no idea why it happened or what it was. It was a terrible sharp, knotting pain in the back of my head when there was any kind of internal pressure, any heavy lifts, not just squatting. I was definitely not lifting properly back then, so that could've been what caused it. Then once it started it just didn't want to go away. A lot like what you're describing. I think I took time off from real heavy stuff and it went away eventually. I tend to agree it's a tissue thing. Maybe the way you're holding the bar is mashing it down, or you tweaked it in some way. But I'm not really sure.

Sorry I don't have more info as to what to do to help fix it. At least know I survived and I turned out pretty ok so far lol. Hope you can get it worked out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    Does it only happen when you squat?

I had a real shitty headache just like this in high school. Still have no idea why it happened or what it was. It was a terrible sharp, knotting pain in the back of my head when there was any kind of internal pressure, any heavy lifts, not just squatting. I was definitely not lifting properly back then, so that could've been what caused it. Then once it started it just didn't want to go away. A lot like what you're describing. I think I took time off from real heavy stuff and it went away eventually. I tend to agree it's a tissue thing. Maybe the way you're holding the bar is mashing it down, or you tweaked it in some way. But I'm not really sure.

Sorry I don't have more info as to what to do to help fix it. At least know I survived and I turned out pretty ok so far lol. Hope you can get it worked out.
    Squats are the only thing that causes it to start, but after it starts any heavy lifting will cause a recurrence. And I've switched from low bar to bar on traps to a less drastic high bar and it continues to be a problem so I can't imagine it being bar placement.. I'm really leaning towards tightness in the area or a technique issue (possibly even breathing wrong) as the cause, but that's mostly because the mri eliminated anything other than that or it the "happens and it sucks but there's nothing to do about it" way of thinking, which I try to avoid whenever possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast