starting strength gym

Thread: Acceleration and Muscle Fiber

Default Acceleration and Muscle Fiber

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm trying to understand something here and searching has brought up either people arguing or some things that are above my ability to comprehend. Please bare with me.

As I understand it, muscle fibers are either "on" or "off". When on, they "ratchet" in order to shorten. That would mean that lifting a some weight "X" pounds, would require engaging "Z" number of fibers.

Does intentionally moving slower mean that even less fibers are recruited?

Conversely, does intentionally moving faster recruit more fibers?

If these statements are true, wouldn't that mean we should do our lifts with the most acceleration possible in order to recruit the most fibers? Isn't that desirable in order to stimulate maximal changes in strength? (assuming proper form)

Does progress in strength training mean we are continuing to activate more and more fibers that have otherwise laid dormant somehow? Are we adding nerve pathways? (is that possible?) Does the force of the same number of fibers increase as we get stronger?

I have really become fascinated with the science of this, and I seem to think about it an awful lot. I guess that is what they mean when they talk about getting bit by the iron bug.

I think this is all covered in PPST2.

Someone once said, " You can't lift a heavy weight slowly " . . . . . a different someone said, " It's the intent that matters ".
    Have you read Practical Programming yet? If not do read it. It may fill your appetite if you also read other works from different sources. Just a thought :-O

Quote Originally Posted by b17vic View Post
    Someone once said, " You can't lift a heavy weight slowly " . . . . . a different someone said, " It's the intent that matters ".
    Have you read Practical Programming yet? If not do read it. It may fill your appetite if you also read other works from different sources. Just a thought :-O
    I have it and have read it, although I referred back to it following Rip's reply. Specifically, the "Physiology of Adaptation" chapter. I cannot find a part that specifically addresses repetition speed. I am going to go back again and really dig into that chapter, in case I missed it. I am really trying to understand the importance of the "explosiveness" one puts into each rep, and how that stimulates gains in strength. I think of it like a square wave, with the start of each rep being the leading edge of the wave. I would think that this type of "instant on" engagement affects the systems in a much more effective manner than a wave that is sloped on the leading edge.
    Last edited by Dave_G; 11-04-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Fixed typo