starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form and diet

Default Form and diet

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach, I have some questions regarding my diet and I'm also posting some form videos of my squat and my press.

Current stats:
    Height: 6.2 / 190 cm
    Weight: 185 pounds / 84 kilograms (weighed 70 kg when I started bbt)

Squat: 192 pounds / 87.5 kg
    Deadlift: 231 pounds / 105 kg
    Bench: 143 pounds / 65 kg
    Press: 99 pounds / 45 kg

Diet first (any day)
    Breakfast: 100g bacon, 3 fried eggs and 300g potatoes, 1 litre of standard milk.
    Lunch: 300g - 500g of meat/fish, 300g potatoes/rice, some gravy/sauce made from cream, 1 litre of milk.
    Dinner: An entire barbequed chicken or barbequed ribs (yeah I like bbq), sauce made from cream, some milk or water just a glass or two.
    Before bed: 1000g of rice porrige (don't know the word in english), 1 litre of milk
    This totalt into something about 7300 calories
    I sometimes skip the bbq, then it becomes something like 5600 cal

Does this sound like an 'ok' diet to you?

Here comes the videoliks

Squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe8jihORfpI

Overhead Press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVnJIp6ZEfg

I hope the angles are okay. It would be very nice if you could analyze them for me.

Regards
    F

PS: Videos are from two diffrent days and two diffrent gyms, visited my friends gym last night and he filmed my squats.

how long have you been training?

in any case, if you read the programming section of the book, you'll see that your diet is above what is recommended with the stats you've given here.

I dont think uve read the book.
    Eat 6000 calories, you wont need more and drink a gallon of whole milk (the calories from the milk are included in the 6000). At this stage it doesnt really matter what you eat just make sure your eating 6000 and getting lots of protein and fats.

Your squatting high bar and sort of doing a low bar squat and not that this matters but it looks like your squatting high but thats a very small problem with your squat.
    The press isnt the way Mark teaches it, watch the video.
    You need to read the book though.

lmao 6000 calories. Why not 10,000. Hell, let's do 20k. Gotta get those gainz!!

edit: OP, your diet looks fine as far as food choices. You're pretty skinny so you can get away with eating that much...for now. But it's probably not necessary. I don't think you need 6000-7000 calories to bring your press up from 99 pounds, for example.
    Last edited by t0rment; 11-22-2012 at 06:28 PM.

I'm almost 6.2

You need to gain 20 pounds

Add 2 double cheeseburgers and a large salad to your diet

get your squat up at least 50 pounds, press up 25 pounds, bench
    up 50 pounds, deadlift up 100 pounds

enjoy the ride ( I started this gig at 185 pounds, landed up at 227, currently 197 after a brutal cut)

DONT GO OVER 210 POUNDS UNLESS YOUR LIFTS ARE IN THE INTERMEDIATE RANGE

I started bbt (at the end of July this year, 2012) with empty bar and added 5 pounds every session, except for the deadlift which I started with at 88 pounds just to not lift the bar directly from the ground... when I found this forum my squat was 110 and felt heavy every time.
    Ow, I need to ADD food!? Fuck... That will be hard. But I know I have to gain weight, trying as hard as I can. I would like to weigh somewhere around 250 (I don't mind having a gut, acctually I would like to have one). But the last month I havn't really gained a pound, been up and down a few times but never really gained.
    One wierd thing though. I was stuck with my bench and my press for quite some time, like 5 weeks or so. Three last times I benched I raised it with 5 kilogrames each time... and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. My press has risen slightly aswell, like 5 pounds per session the latest two sessions.
    The squat is another story, deloaded a few sessions ago and did ramped sets up to 187, and then the squat felt quite ok again, it still does when I've started adding weight the normal way. And I couldn't have it lower on my back I think. It is as low as it gets to still be on my deltoids.
    Deadlift is heavy but it feels ok, grip is a little weak, but Im not changing grip until I acctually drop it, stubborn as a mule...

Thing with the book, I don't have unlimited access to it at the moment, borrowed a friends version and read it. I guess I should buy my own pretty soon to be able to go back when I need to.
    I also don't seem to get the new version of the press, can't do it the way described in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Draugfromthehills View Post
    But the last month I havn't really gained a pound, been up and down a few times but never really gained.
    Then barring some sort of hormonal disorder, you're not eating 7300 calories, or 6000 calories, or 5600 calories. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I'm almost 6.2

You need to gain 20 pounds

Add 2 double cheeseburgers and a large salad to your diet

get your squat up at least 50 pounds, press up 25 pounds, bench
    up 50 pounds, deadlift up 100 pounds

enjoy the ride ( I started this gig at 185 pounds, landed up at 227, currently 197 after a brutal cut)

DONT GO OVER 210 POUNDS UNLESS YOUR LIFTS ARE IN THE INTERMEDIATE RANGE
    Why 2 cheeseburgers and a large salad? And why would he add the same amount of weight to his bench as his squat? And why cant he go over 210lbs? What about if hes a genetic freak and stays on linear progression for the next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
    Why 2 cheeseburgers and a large salad? And why would he add the same amount of weight to his bench as his squat? And why cant he go over 210lbs? What about if hes a genetic freak and stays on linear progression for the next year?

All based on my experience

- squating for tall people is tough

- double cheeseburgers were the best recovery food bar none

- the guy is not eating enough vegetables

- Steve Reeves believes a 6.2 guy, advanced lifter should weight 220, I agree with him (with a waist around 32 or so)

starting strength coach development program
    Draug, I think you might need to bring your foot width in a bit on the squats. You loo pretty loose and this seems to help me stay real tight int he hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast